ACN Latitudes Forums

Severe Scalp Pain, Hypersenitiviy after rise in antibodies

Rachel

Since my ds had a double ear infection last October his scalp pain and hypersenitiviy to touch is unreal. His vocal tics start very strongly when he washes his hair and he is in tears because of the pain. I know this is not normal and his doctors have been told of this problem. My son can also not stand to have anything next to his legs. He would rather stay cold then to have a blanket on his legs. So at night I wait until he is asleep before I attempt to cover him up. My home stays warm because I have a wood stove.

After the ear infection , the Cunningham Panel was rerun and all of the those antibodies were highy elevated. When these antibodies go up like this, does it make symptoms worse? Is this the norm?

My ds developed a sensitive scalp and couldn't stand the feel of water on his head (this is a lingering symptom though to a lesser degree) though it doesn't seem he was quite as bad as that, it was very traumatic for both of us and a big, big challenge.

In his case, I would definitely say it made a big, negative difference after he'd had strep (in throat or ear) and antibodies were in high gear.

Not sure what is considered to be a sensory condition? When my son got sick back in December 2010, the scalp pain started after the walking pneumonia. At first it was not too bad, he coud still comb his hair and wash it. Gradually it has gotten worse . This last year it seem to get worse after illnesses. I suspect that infections and virus have made this problem worse. It's so bad now that hair cuts and shampoos are really impossible. It's a symptom that never gets less in pain. Is there a specifc type of doctor that could help my son with this issue?

Just a thought but wondering if this plays into Dr T's cytokine/alternate fever response theory. We had flu go through the house over Christmas (swine probably as both my PANDAS kids did ok and they got swine flu back in 2009). I was awful.. and one of the worst symptoms was skin pain.

I ached all over but had extremely sensitive skin pain, rubbed raw kind of feeling on upper arms and back in particular. So much so that a thin shirt would feel painful.

This can be a part of sickness behavior, hyperalgesia caused by cytokines. I also had burning feet, especially when I tried to put socks or shoes on, or had a bath. Also getting into bed. Temperature change seemed to be the common denominator for the feet.

For me it went when the flu went but maybe for some of these kids who have this aberrant cytokine response, it may be the cause of ongoing issues... or flares when they are exposed to infection and the cytokines ramp up.

google hyperlagesia cytokines

I looked this term up. I had never heard of it before but it fits my son. There is treatment and my son has tried some of these medications. However, what he has been tried on has not worked. I will talk to our doctor and see if I can get him to try him on something else. The problem may be trying to find something that will not interfere with blood pressure medication. My son has low blood pressure and the medcation he is on is suppose to help keep it up. Thanks for sharing this information.