ACN Latitudes Forums

medication for tics?

akangel

I am a new member to the forum. My daughter is 22 and has a diagnoses of facial tics since toddler age. Her medication she is on is not working for her and looking for something to help control them. I was wondering what others take for their tics? She is currently on tenex. I am happy to find this forum so I can educate both of us. We kind of just accepted it because her dad suffers with them.

Hi and welcome

Most of us here have opted for a more natural approach for managing tics, rather than the medications which almost always seem to have side effects.

There is a Helpful Thread pinned to the top of the board (also linked in my post signature below) where you will find a lot of interesting info

My son is now 24 and has had tics since very young, with genetic TS. We started out on meds, but the side effects were very severe, and then found the info on magnesium, diet etc and it was life changing for my son! People meeting him now would never know he has TS as the tics are almost non-existant....and that for someone who had it so severely as a child.

I would recommend trying the natural route as we did that first as well. However, after exploring all testing and avenues we had to do something as our son was having difficulty in school because of the tics. We put him on Topamax and I am happy to say it has been good for him. I would only recommend the brand and not the generic because we had problems with the generic.

• 1 month later...

I am a new member to the forum. My daughter is 22 and has a diagnoses of facial tics since toddler age. Her medication she is on is not working for her and looking for something to help control them. I was wondering what others take for their tics? She is currently on tenex. I am happy to find this forum so I can educate both of us. We kind of just accepted it because her dad suffers with them.

Hi, Sorry to hear your daughter is a tic sufferer. I am also new i am 37 yrs old and have lived with tics from the age of 7. Beginning with mouth opening/stretching then body jerks i my abdomen. At age 11 the violent neck tic arrived ( i jerk my head forward where my chin juts out) I have suffered this constantly now for 27 years. I have decided to try medication now as the pain and discomfort has become unbearable.

I have just started Pramipexole ( Mirapexin) slow release, and the dose increases every 7 days. These are mostly used to treat Parkinsons and restless leg syndrome . Although these are proving effective and have dramatically reduced the tics !!! I am suffering some unpleasant side effects. I will perceiver a little longer but should side effects continue/worsen i will stop and try another medication.

• 1 month later...

We use the minimum dose of Tenex as well, which thankfully is working for us, but normally the first choice next to guanfacine (Tenex, non-extended release) is clonidine. You could try the extended release guanfacine too and see if that works better.