ACN Latitudes Forums

Grey bowel movements?

Hi, this is a strange occurrence that has now happened twice with DD during mild PANDAS flares. During the latter stages of an 'episode' she presents for a day or two with very pale/grey stools which quickly return to normal?? Nothing different about diet and no other stomach issues. She is on prophylaxis abx, but the first time we saw this she wasn't on medication. Has anyone else experienced this?

Our dd5 has these about twice a year, usually attached to a flare. They are also beyond foul smelling, and will burn her skin (she started having them while in diapers, and it would actually burn her skin).

Through the years, we have realized that during some of her flare ups, there is inflammation in her liver as it is working so hard to clear her body. When her liver is having to work too hard, we see these types of BMs. The only thing we have done so far is monitor - they do repeated liver and kidney panels during these times to watch - so far, her body has been able yo resolve itself and clear it out.

In the beginning of PANS for our family I used to consider myself a poop watcher. I have seen it all, blue, gray, green stools.... Here is a good explanation of pale or gray color.

Pale Stool

Stool that is pale or grey may be caused by insufficient bile output due to conditions such as cholecystitis, gallstones, giardia parasitic infection, hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis. Bile salts from the liver give stool its brownish color. If there is decreased bile output, stool is much lighter in color.

Other causes of pale stool is the use of antacids that contain aluminum hydroxide. Stool may also temporarily become pale after a barium enema test.

Pale stool may also be shiny or greasy, float, and be foul smelling, due to undigested fat in the stool (see soft and smelly stool).