ACN Latitudes Forums

Green tea or l-Theanine for pandas kids

Hi everyone, I am reading up on natural supplements to try to get by boy help with attention and have come across a multitude of articles on the benefits of green tea and l-Theanine for adhd kids as it supposedly not only focuses them but also calms them. This seems counterintuitive as caffeine is a stimulant but, then again, so are Ritalin and all other add Meds. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance

I've not used l-theanine or green tea for my DS but I have used it for myself (tho I don't have ADHD). I liked how it made my brain feel - a little more alert but not wired the way I'd get if I had too much coffee. It wasn't dramatic but I could feel a difference on days I had 1-2 cups of green tea. However, I found after awhile that that became my new "norm" and to get that feeling back, I started drinking 2-3 cups/day. In a sense, I became a little addicted to it. I think its helpfulness may depend on the severity of the ADHD.

Based on DS's 23andMe results, he takes phosphatidylserine (found on amazon as PS100) . Phosphatidylserine and its partner phosphatidylcholine are both considered helpful for ADHD and I have to say I've seen improvement in my son's focus and ability to stay organized. On a regular day, he takes 100mg. If he's in a flare, he'll take double this amount - one 100mg capsule in the a.m. and one at dinner so he can focus on homework in the evening.

I've toyed with also adding l-theanine, but haven't - other things always seem to take priority.