ACN Latitudes Forums

Break from abx./Repairing gut for awhile.

I thought of your daughter when I saw this link yesterday.

http://blog.listentoyourgut.com/doctors-say-no-probiotics-for-ibd-patients/

The suggestion for those that can't tolerate probiotics well is to start replenishing the gut with B infantis (the probiotic first passed to infants from the mother) and then work up adding other probiotic strains from there. I know your daughter has gut troubles, so perhaps starting gently reintroducing the proper flora might be the way to go.

in March 2005, Gastroenterology journal published results of a human trial on 75 people with IBS, supplementing with 10 billion cfu of B. infantis, once per day in a malted milk drink. Now, Bifidobacterium infantis is, as the title suggests, a strain typically used for infants. But as Dr. Quigley and his colleagues note in their paper, the symptom relief achieved with B. infantis in the trial was comparable to that seen with Zelnorm (tegaserod) and Lotronex (alosetron) – two drugs used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.(14)

B. Infantis is the predominant bacteria found in the bowel of healthy breastfed infants. As the infant begins to eat solid foods, the more ‘adult’ strains like B. bifidum come to dominate. However, what if you never had a healthy bacterial flora as an infant? Then maybe it would be best for you to start with what was missing from the very beginning and work up from there?

Have they offered a fecal transplant? I sat next to a nurse at a charity dinner, ( I know gross dinner topic) and she works with a Dr who gets wonderful results for c-diff with this procedure. They sterilize it and insert and it helps recolonize the flora. Seems simple and I have always wondered if it would help with behaviors and the brain-gut connection.