ACN Latitudes Forums

My child is getting annoyed by me!

My son is getting real frustrated by me because he doesn't want to talk about his tics. The problem is, I don't want to either! He has had an ongoing hard wink since May. He has never had any tic that lasted this long before. I don't think puberty is helping. The neurologist (whom I like) said it usually improves after puberty. How long is puberty? The reason I have to keep talking about it is because when I ask him to play less video games, go to bed, stop eating and drinking junk he asks why. I don't make anything up, I tell him the truth that his tics are worse when he does all of the above. I think lack of sleep is the worst trigger. I have tried the clean diet in the past and it doesn't make a huge difference. Either way I try to encourage him to keep the diet somewhat healthy. Being a teen boy he seems to crave everything bad, my husband doesn't help much with the diet. Not sure what to do.

The first thing I would recommend is stop referring things or talking about the tic. I am not sure how old your son is but that could truly bring on more tics. My son started with tics at a young age but I never referred things to the tics alone. My son dealt with the hard wink and many more over the years. I know from experience that if you draw attention if just makes if worst bc they can't control if and then they stress bc you notice it and they try to hide if but they can't. I yell about less video games and stop eating junk but refer it to being healthier and that it's not good for you . Yes going to bed can be a struggle but I say you need the sleep to stay healthy and strong or bc I said so. My boy will be going into puberty soon so I wonder also. But drawing the attention to other things I think are better and less stressful for the child. No one wants to talk about there tics bc they are so much out of their control . If you work on other factors like you mentioned and or diet in your case if will be so much easier for him. We all when on a cleaner diet and did not just make him have to be the only one to change and if helped. My ds is getting to the age where he grabs that bag of chips and basically finishes if and is the fridge looking for more and more .

Mar

• 4 weeks later...

I know what you mean here. If possible - I would definitely stop saying to get off the computer, etc. because it causes tics. My son has the same issues and I did the same as you before - when the tics were really bad and my son was too wrapped up in computer games and the whole thing was out of control. But I stopped talking about the tics unless absolutely needed or if he brings it up. It seems to cause a whole lot of stress or a stress reaction which seems to cause the tics to start and it gets my son really upset. He would say that he was fine and now I've made the tics start by talking about them - those were always unpleasant conversations. So I now don't refer to the tics when it comes to the computer use or sleep or food. I want us both to be healthy so I will tell him less sugar for that reason and that's all. Don't worry. I just don't think it's healthy to focus on it - maybe the less we focus on it the less we think about it and the less it happens..I don't know. But I hope it gets better for you and your son. It is very difficult...