ACN Latitudes Forums

tic regression with diet changes

my2sons

My ds, 10, has tics. We started a GFCF, low sugar (natural sweeteners only) no chemicals/preservatives diet in April. We use supplements, a good probootic, etc. His tics have slowly and gradually improved ever since. Around the end of October we went corn and soy free, too. During this processmy DS would have periods when the tics would increase for a few days and then go back down, often to a new low or he would develop a mold new tic that would last a week or two. Well, we are at 8 months and his primary tic is increased and worse than it has been since we started the diet. Mind you, it is not where it was but, over the last two weeks his ADHD has been uncontrollable, his tics have increased about 35% to 40% and his sleep issues have returned. Is this just another healing regression or something else? Anyone else experience this with diet and healing? I read in a book re: Autism and the SCD diet that this is a common phenomenon that occurrs at 2,3,5,7,9,12,18, and 24 months and that the 9 month regression seems to be the worst but not sure if the same applies with tics. Experience or thoughts anyone?

Edited by my2sons

Not sure if you meant to write, "mold new tic". My kids will tic in response to increase mold in the house or in their school environment. Xmas time enhances moldiness in homes, due to bringing out all the old decorations that have been stored for a year. Also, wrapping paper has very high levels of mold on it and when you wrap and then rip the paper off the mold spores have a fun time flying through the house and attaching to couches, etc. My kid's tics always increase at Xmas time because of this and also because of all the candy they are sneaking at school and not telling me about. Just a thought if you are sensitive to mold.

I have no idea what is going on. Talked to our doctor and he told me to start him on an antifungal and bring him in Friday. He thinks it is a regrowth of yeast in the gut. He is allergic to mould. He gets weekly allergy injections for his allergies. He also ate quite a few oranges over christmas. Oranges make him tic. Usually only lasts a bout 20 to 40 minutes though. Although, that is usually from one small clementine or a litle OJ. This time he ate oranges over a period of several days and some days he ate more than one. It has been 3 days since his last orange. Could it still be the oranges?