ACN Latitudes Forums

C. Diff Positive -- How long to wait before retesting?

My son has been on Flagyl for almost a month now (500 mg. 3/day) for c. diff. He has no normal symptoms of c. diff, only severe OCD. The c. diff was found through the Metametrix Organix Acid Comprehensive test (specifically through the Organix Dysbiosis Profile). It is a urine test.

For those of you whose children have had c. diff, how long did you wait before re-testing. My fear is that if we test too soon, it will come back positive even though the infection is gone. Thanks!

Most gastro doctors won't treat c diff unless you show symptoms of c diff. I am surprised your son got that much flagyl without symptoms. If there is no diarreah I would not worry too much about it. Everyone carries a small amount of c diff in their intestines, it only becomes a problem if all the other good bacteria is killed off by antibiotics without probiotics. This allows the c diff to take over and cause problems. Most labs refuse to test solid stool. So as long as your son is not showing symptoms don't worry too much, just be sure to give probiotics daily.

Most gastro doctors won't treat c diff unless you show symptoms of c diff. I am surprised your son got that much flagyl without symptoms. If there is no diarreah I would not worry too much about it. Everyone carries a small amount of c diff in their intestines, it only becomes a problem if all the other good bacteria is killed off by antibiotics without probiotics. This allows the c diff to take over and cause problems. Most labs refuse to test solid stool. So as long as your son is not showing symptoms don't worry too much, just be sure to give probiotics daily.

The c. diff was found through the Organix Acid Comprehensive Metametrix test (dysbiosis section). It is a urine test that tests for bi-products of c. diff. My son's number was pretty high--several times the normal limit. So I am pretty sure he has a c. diff problem. He was also recently on clindamycin which is known to cause c. diff.

My son's LLMD had no problem ordering the medicine, though she was not sure it was causing his OCD (though that is what most doctor's say--I am use to that response).

My son's only symptom of infection is severe OCD. He has really never had any significant stomach or bowel issues throughout his three-year treatment.

Actually, the test came back positive for "clostridia species." So not necessarily specifically c. diff, but something in the family.

Sometimes Vancomycen is needed to clear c-diff.

Also, I like Klaire Ther-biotic detox support probiotic a lot. We use ther-biotic detox, florastor, culturelle, and Integrative pearls daily for prevention.

My son is already on Klaire Ther-biotic detox--2/day. He is also on Jarrow sacc--4/day. He had been on 2 Jarrow sacc/day, but his doctor upped the sacc. to 4/day when my son recently went on Clindamycin which is known to cause c. diff. But it is is possible my son has had c. diff for some time, unrelated to the Clindamycin.

The last time DD had c-diff she was on GSE and a nasal atomizer that included Topramycin, vancomycin, amphotericin B, and betamethasone. We did the tests ~ two months apart. Yes, the second one came back negative.

It's been a while but I think we re-tested with Metametrix after two or three months.

That's what I thought. The doctor suggested 4 weeks a Flagyl and then test two weeks after that. That doesn't seem like long enough. How did you treat the c. diff? Did the re-test come back negative?