ACN Latitudes Forums

WOW....

My ds is having his Tonsils out Dec. 30th. When meeting the surgeon, I was pleasantly surprised at her openness to Pandas. She stated that she was going to research this more so that my ds has the best outcome, (minimize exacerbation), from surgery. She got it right away!

Anyway, I walked away pleased, but not sure if it was just lip service.

Then today, I received phone calls from surgeons office AND hospital surgical scheduling nurse, both were mainly focusing on his PANDAS! They both asked some great questions, and it was clear that everybody was on board and taking Pandas seriously....!

This is what they came up with.

IV Steroid post or during surgery (cant remember which)

IV Ampicillin before or after surgery (again cant remember) I am tired.

ABX 14 days post surgery

One night stay after surgery to make sure he is okay....

Aside from being thrilled about hospital not rolling their eyes....How does this approach sound to all of you?

Edited by qannie47

Are you kidding!!! Its a dream!!! How wonderful for you both!! I hope this brings DS the whaling he deserves.

Our kiddos had IV steroids prior to surgery to minimize swelling, and IV abx pre and post op. We are on long term abx so that didn't change. Staying overnight is awesome. I wish they made that standard as those IV Fluids go a looooooong way!!! It's excruciatingly painful to swallow those first days post op and dehydration is a battle. Let the. Give him as much fluid as they can! Popsicles pudding and smoothies are all my kiddos would swallow. We were also at a very pandas savvy place and they see many kids with pandas. The nurses were very compassionate and that went a log way in calming my nerves and making me feel comforted.

Best of luck to you for a safe surgery and slowly recovery!!