ACN Latitudes Forums

NYU & Dr. Najjar

We got through all the tests at the hospital. It was super tough. She was a mess and I thought that was a good thing, so the nurses could see her at her worse but it back fired on me! She sceamed if anyone came near her, so getting text done was almost impossible. The nurses also thought she was a brat and that I was just a nervous parent. Same old story. I tried explaining but gave up! I am dying to get the results from these tests! How much of a pain should I be, as far as bugging the office for a follow up appointment? I called once and left message. Hard to restrain myself!

I would call again. You may want to send a holiday gift and then call after it's delivered. I've done this and it seems to work, people feel obligated to respond after receiving soemthing for free. I would send one to Dr.N and one addressed to the secretary (with an F, forgot, Fraulien?).

T.anna

I would call the office and ask for a nurse to return you call to tell you what the expected amount if time will begin see the test results. Thenbstsrt calling when that time comes. I totally know the feeling of wanting to know those results ASAP but at the same time you don't want to aggravate the office if you are calling everyday and it is an expected 6-8 week turnaround. That's why I would ask for a nurse to call. They will get the correct info as opposed to asking the girls who answer the phone who may not have accurate info. Good luck!!!!! We can't wait to hear the results also. Sorry your dd had such a difficult time. I hope what you learn is worth what she had to endure.

I would call patient relations and nicely put in a complaint....I did that and got a full on apology...they said no matter how a child is acting, these nurses are all professionals and children should be treated with compassion, not judgement. She called a meeting within 2 hours with the nurse and floor manager. I felt better for myself and son....

When my son had an EEG recently, it took a week for the the doctor to call me and discuss the results. For me, getting an EEG is not the same as getting bloodwork, since I can just get a fax or copy of the bloodwork, but in the case of the EEG, the doctor needed to review it first.

My son was seen by Dr. N in Sept, and he had bloodwork there. I know in our case, aggressive calling to discuss backfired, and I've tried since to restrain myself in calling doctors for information. I know that's nuts and we shouldn't be at their mercy, but for me, that's what's worked

Edited by hrosenkrantz

Its tough, but if you are willing to play the game you can get the info in a timely manner. Most docs don't do their own phone calling unless something serious is going on. Often they review the cases with their nurses and they make the call. In any case, if you call and ask to speak with a nurse they will likely get the Ido for you quickly, especially if you seem concerned yet patient and understanding. ( again, tough to pull off when you are dying to know the results!!!) then, if you have questions and there are some true abnormalities jt is appropriate to ask the doc to call you at their convenience to discuss further concerns. But the best way if all is to schedule a follow up so that you get the doctors undivided attention.

I work in a doctors office and I can tell you that the staff who answers the phone can get really annoyed patients who make multiple phone calls asking for results that aren't in yet. Often they have no access to those results or even have an understanding of how long they take. They have 10 phone lines ringing at a time and people giving them a hard time at the desk. I know that's no reason to give anyone a hard time, but its a tough job and they do take a lot of abuse at times. So if you direct your question to the right person you are likely to get a timely response. The folks who answer the phone have a specific job. They schedule appointments and put in what are called phone messages. So the most professional and productive thing to do is call in a friendly but professional voice and ask if they would kindly put a phone message in to dr x nurse bc you would like to hear the results of the xyz at their earliest convenience. If the results at not in would you kindly give me a call back and let me know when I can expect them because id hate to call and bother you again. Ask who you are speaking with and make a note to yourself. Then if you haven't heard back in 3 business days by all means call back and follow up.

I hope that is helpful.