ACN Latitudes Forums

What's the scoop on MGH?

I have another post right now about how we are in crisis - DS 12.5 has severe depression, body dysmorphia, and an eating disorder which has all developed over the past few months. We are in MA and I'm wondering if anyone has been to MGH or has investigated the new "PANDAS Clinic" (are they accepting new patients?). I was at the conference back in November and had mixed feelings when it was spoken about, but that was before DS nose-dived completely.

I feel like MGH would definitley be the road to psych meds, and I've been avoiding that, but maybe it's necessary at this point.

Just curious if anyone has any info on MGH, Dr. Geller, the PANDAS Cliinic, etc....

We go to all MGH docs and they are amazing, compassionate, supportive and open minded. It's not easy to get in but if you can you are very lucky and in great hands. I have only fantastic things to say about all 5 of our docs there. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions I can help with.

We never went to MGH because they were not taking new (PANDAS) patients at the time, so we saw Dr. Geller outside of the hospital.He tried anti-biotics and we saw no change. Then about every psychiatric drug in the book with no improvement. Our son had very classic symptoms since an early age.By this time in his life he was very depressed and anxious. Still meds did nothing. Dr. Geller wanted a sample of blood, but my son was too scared to have blood drawn. After that,things petered out, and we stopped seeing him.Our insurance did not cover these visits, but we would try anything to help our son, as anyone would.

I have found dr geller to be one of the let thorough, efficient, and compassionate doctors around. We have tried meds to help alleviate DSs symptoms but he is very quick to change or discontinue them if they are not working. He has been very supportive if my decision not to medicate as well. The care we have received at MGH has been above and beyond. Once I sent an email through the patient portal letting them know we were having some significant side effects. This was on a Sunday morning. Within 3 hours I received a phone call from the on call doctor and I was blown away. It's not like I had called coverage with an emergency, it was more of an FYI kind of message. We feel so fortunate to have the docs at MGH!

• 2 weeks later...

I need to chime in here too. Dr. Geller is the absolute best! While he certainly prescribed anti obsessional medication for symptom relief, he was also open to their discontinuation when my child didn't respond to them. Dr. Geller is tremendously knowledgable, available, responsive and compassionate. We so appreciated his conservative, research based approach. At the end of the day it was probably antibiotics that cured my child. However without the medicine he prescribed for symptom relief (anti inflammatory medicines turned out to be most effective), and the amazing the support of the Pediatric CBT program (mostly for habit reversal once strep was cleared), we might not have come out on the other side unscathed-- or at all! I have no experience with the PANDAS clinic and have only heard what we all did at the conference in Providence. Our family's experience with the pediatric OCD program at MGH couldn't have been better. Please feel free to message me with any questions, if you like.

Edited by mommybee