ACN Latitudes Forums

Full meltdown mode-prayers needed

DS, 14, is in full meltdown. Oh dear Lord we need help. He is only on 500 mg of Keflex and 10 mg of Prednisone. I have some Augmentin XR and that has always helped him in the past and I think I will give him some to start the calming process until we can hear from the doc. I called their office the minute I got him in the shower.

He is bawling and asking why everyone hates him and why is he the one everyone hates and picks on. Everyone on his wrestling team does not hate him but he has been so mean the last several weeks that I'm sure they are sick of him. I know this is tied to the doctor taking him off abx after his tonsillectomy and then later they put him on steroid taper to counteract all the inflammation. We weren't great before, but he was definitely functional. Now he is absolutely not...

DS, 14, is in full meltdown. Oh dear Lord we need help. He is only on 500 mg of Keflex and 10 mg of Prednisone. I have some Augmentin XR and that has always helped him in the past and I think I will give him some to start the calming process until we can hear from the doc. I called their office the minute I got him in the shower.

He is bawling and asking why everyone hates him and why is he the one everyone hates and picks on. Everyone on his wrestling team does not hate him but he has been so mean the last several weeks that I'm sure they are sick of him. I know this is tied to the doctor taking him off abx after his tonsillectomy and then later they put him on steroid taper to counteract all the inflammation. We weren't great before, but he was definitely functional. Now he is absolutely not...

When we tried steroids it sent my son into a tail spin. I was able to have him quit steroids cold turkey because it had only been 3 days. i think after that time frame they have to be tapered. Anyway we increased his abx (zith) and he pulled out of it in less than 24 hours. I won't try steroids again for that reason. He is fabulous on just abx and sometimes can even come off abx .

Maybe you can increase his abx for today and see if it calms things down. It worked for us.

Your in my prayers.

He had his tonsillectomy on November 4th. He was doing so well on steroids (no verbal tics, two great days of happy behavior) until we went from 45 mg to 10 mg. After we got him kind of calmed down, we got the story. A little pipsqueak on the wrestling team that is half his size has been giving him verbal crap. Of course he cannot deal with that very well and he knows he can't retaliate physically--so he is super frustrated. Asst coach told him to ignore it, let it go. I know this is the correct approach and we have tried this with and for him, but he just can't let it go. DS was very insightful; he knows that he is not acting normally. He doesn't understand what is happening to him, but he does know that something negative is happening.

DH ended up calling the coach and explaining the current situation. Coach has been so wonderful about PANDAs and is still wonderful and supportive. He said that he would deal with situation at practice. He has blessed our whole family with his kindness.

I thank all of you for your support. We are not great, but it gives me hope that my son can look at his situation and know that it is not right and he wants to get back to feeling better. I did not give him the Augmentin; waiting to hear from doctor in morning. We just have to figure out which keys fit this PANDAs lock.

I just checked the side effects of Keflex....agitation amongst other things....why did they go with Keflex when you report that augmentin has worked so well in the past? I would go back to the augmentin. Hold tight!!! You have gotten through this before, and you and your ds will get through it again....Just said a prayer for you and yours....

Have you tried the ibuprofen? We had prescription amount for wisdom teeth and all his irritability went away. It was only for a week so I know something is bugging him. Diet, sick kids, hormones etc.

Won't steroids create more yeast? What about grapefruit seed extract? I also like Vitamin C for support.

It is great he recognizes something is off. That is half the battle. He may also have hormones with a growth spurt coming and it is being exacerbated by the pipsqueak.

I will put you in my prayers.

Have you tried the ibuprofen? We had prescription amount for wisdom teeth and all his irritability went away. It was only for a week so I know something is bugging him. Diet, sick kids, hormones etc.

Won't steroids create more yeast? What about grapefruit seed extract? I also like Vitamin C for support.

It is great he recognizes something is off. That is half the battle. He may also have hormones with a growth spurt coming and it is being exacerbated by the pipsqueak.

I will put you in my prayers.

Ibuprofen 200 mg, Pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg is what works for DD. She can stand a higher dosage of Ibuprofen at times but it works consistently for DD when nothing else seems to.

CobbieMommy, please also consider that he might be reacting to a virus/bacteria from a teammate. My DS ended up with ringworm from his teammates when this flare began. Wrestling puts them at risk, mats have germs like ball pits. Dirty mats and guys sweating, sneezing, etc who may be carriers.

T.Anna