ACN Latitudes Forums

supplements vs meds

Hi

My son is 12 and was diagnosed last January with Pandas. We have been tried antibiotic after antibiotic ,diff options for tics and now on Abilify 3 mg and nothing seems to help.

His pandas symptoms all started with strep infection at age 6 and we were misdiagnosed for YEARS. He has not ran a fever since age 6 but has had numerous strep infections which led to removing tonsils and also has had the flu but this year has had it 3 times already since July.

does anyone have any advice on what I might try to help boost immune system.

I read on olive leaf oil to kill strep and elderberry to treat and prevent flu. I really want him off the abilify being it is doing nothing for tics and refuse to go up on dosage.

His immune system could be compromised by an underlying chronic infection of some kind. In our case it was a chronic bartonella infection. For boosting the immune system we use low dose astragalus (500 mg 3x weekly) and COLDFX (extract of american ginseng).

we did have him along with lil brother and lil sis checked and all three have an IGA disoroder and last year found out that the 12 yr also had IGG as well as IGA. so this explains why he stays sick so much . he never runs fever just know he is sick when starts ticcing bad and complains of head and stomach.

Do you have an immunologist directing treatment for IGG disorder? Your child might get coverage for IVIG with certain diagnosis. It sounds like until you address the immune system you may not be able to stop the illness causing continual flares.

Is your child on abx continually?

we see a dr that handles Pandas but we see him every 3-4 months. ins doesn not cover and he is actually about two hrs away and it is very hard with our busy schedule to get in at times especially with two younger kiddos. we have only seen an immunologist once and that is who informed us about iga issue. he told us it would improve with age and nothing you could do or take to improve but to take vitamins.

my son was on azithromycin as a prophylactic but was on for a two weeks and entire house gets strep and has to switch. so no not anymore. we need a refill and dr wabts us to come in also on abilify and when I refilled he only alowed 14 days and we can not come in until after 1 st of year and I am a little upset about this entire issue. thats why I was wondering if people had better luck with supplements helping rather then strong meds.

You should look into the IGG issue. Do a little research because depending in how low they are IVIG might be the treatment!! Also long term abx are frequently given to their with immune problems. Can you ask your pandas provider to direct you to someone who will treat?

our pandas dr did say that ivig would be last resort. he gave us a supplement to try called A.I. Formula made by pure encapsulation and said he trys this first and has had really great results with it. it is ivig in a supplement is what he calls it. we did really good for about two weeks then son refused to take it due to tast being so bad. I am starting him back on today.

we have had good success using homeopathy with an integrative MD.

this is different from supplements or naturopathic medicine. naturopathic medicine can and often does include homeopathy - but homeopathy is a specific form of medicine that is not supplements nor clean eating and other things that are sometimes confused with using the term 'homeopathy' when really meaning 'naturopathy'.

classic homeopathy is using a specific remedy to engage the body to heal itself. we have used a different form in which we have used the remedies as you would other medicines such as abx. we have used sprays or pellets that have been easy to take.

sounds a little off, I know. . . but ds is doing well. . .

A.I. Formula®

Supplemental Facts
  • Amount Per Serving
  • each vegetarian capsule contains:
  • quercetin175 mg.
  • turmeric (Curcuma longa) extract (root)150 mg.
  • (standardized to contain 95% curcuminoids)
  • bromelain (2,400 GDU/gram)200 mg.
  • ginger (Zingiber officinale) extract (root)100 mg.
  • (standardized to contain 5% gingerols)
  • ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C)14 mg.

Sounds like a good anti-inflammatory.