ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast help please

Haven't been on the forum in a while but glad to know you ladies are still here helping.

Dd has positive igG, IgM, and IgA for Candida despite daily 10 billion saccharomyces Bouliardii, 200mg of Diflucan daily, and 500,000Units of Nystatin twice daily.

I've just figured out that birth control can contribute to yeast (so we will stop that). But I also read that taking Diflucan/Nystatin undoes the good of the Sacc Boul.

I've also just figured out that yeast can cause all the symptoms she has had lately that are worse than normal. (she has lyme) Her fatigue has been much worse, lethargy, weakness, dizziness, sensory disturbances, muscle pain, respiratory distress, etc.

So, I've finally talked her into trying really hard to cut out white flour and sugar at least while we figure this out.

This is my thought process....increase the Sacch Boul. to four times a day. I've been buying Jarrow's formula with MOS. 5 billion. is this an okay probiotic? And stop the Diflucan and Nystatin???? Stop all white flour and sugar and see where it gets us? Clearly the Nystatin and Diflucan aren't doing there job well enough. (She's tried Lamisil to but kept getting vaginal yeast while on that, right now the Diflucan keeps her from getting vaginal yeast)

What would you do? I could see a Naturopath but we are so out of money and I've been laid off and if you guys can tell me the same thing he would, it would be wonderful.

Can you help?

And just to clarify, I was giving the Sacch Boul two hours after Diflucan and Nystatin.

would you continue it? I hate not knowing.

Edited by momaine

It is a similar battle for us 'YEAST'!

We are/were also on Diflucan and nystatin as a family. I recently read that yeast can even become resistant to Diflucan. The only thing that has worked for our older son and myself is ozone therapy. It has brought huge resolution of symptoms for both of us. Insufflation will run about $60.00 per treatment depending on Dr. Insufflation is ozone blown in ears, nose or rectally. I had a chronic sinus issue for well over a year that has resolved due to these treatments. Often yeast/fungus gets in the nasal cavities and causes what looks like allergies or sinus infection. I am off antibiotics now due to ozone therapy and believe older DS is not too far behind me.

Here is a list of Dr.'s if this type of therapy interest you. I would not go to a Dr. that is not well trained in ozone. You can read on-line how it works for yeast/fungus.

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/my_ozone_doctor.com.html

Here is another interesting website on yeast that is often referenced. I have not tried any of their recommended products but will if needed.

http://www.candidaplan.com/new/what_is_candida/

To re-establish gut flora definitely continue with a rotation of different stains probiotics and bone broth.

Here is a good explanation of why bone broth is helpful to healing the gut.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/03/health-benefits-of-bone-broth.html

Yeast can also be tied with heavy metals. If you have not checked for heavy metals it might be something to consider.

Edited by sf_mom

For us, changing diet was big. You should look up a candida diet because there are many things you should have her avoid. Sugar being #1. She needs to eliminate almost all sugar. As far as fruit is concerned, stick with berries. Ketchup and any vingegar based foods are bad. Apple cider vinegar, however, is good! Do you know if she has any food intolerances? Dairy can promote yeast growth and also is a big inflammatory in the gut. Yeast loves inflammation. Dairy should be avoided while killing yeast.

We use grapefruit seed extract to keep yeast at bay. It needs ot be diluted but the great thing is that the yeast can not mutate to be come resistant to the GSE the way they can with the diflucan or Nystatin.

We also use Ther-Biotic Detox (50bill CFU) made by Klair Labs. This specific blend has strains that fight candida specifically.

Hope this helps!

Edited by cara615

Sacc Boullardi isn't the most beneficial gut bacteria you can have. It's still a fungus. It makes my son very angry and very Pandas-y. I know some here do fine on it, but I personally hate the stuff. I'd ditch the Sacc B before ditching the diflucan and nystatin. That alone could be a major part of her problem. Try switching to a probiotic that has high bifido and lacto strains. CP-1 comes highly recommended for yeast and we've been using it for a month. Have to say I like it a lot. http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-adult-formula-cp-1.htm

Bifido strains are what's found in mother's milk. It's the first type of bacteria that goes into a baby's GI biome. My LLMD feels Sacc B is the stuff that thrives when the good stuff is wiped out by abx.

The other thing is that if you have leaky gut, the nystatin could be killing stuff and the toxins could be leaking into the blood stream. Same with the diflucan, which is killing yeast systemically, not just in the gut. You could have a detox/herx on your hands, rather than the meds not doing their job. On top of that, you're adding in Sacc B so it's like bailing out the boat but having a running hose putting the water right back in. Try stopping the Sacc B for a time, switching to CP-1, Theralac or Kirkman's Bifido product, and eliminating as much gluten and sugar as you can (I tried but totally failed - so hats off to those who can do this).

The other thing you can try is glutamine supplements, which help repair the mucus of the GI tract lining. If you've got yeast or other irritant boring into the lining, causing inflammation, you'll have leaky gut issues on top of the yeast problems. The toxins the dying yeast release (aldehyde and ammonia), will bleed back into the body. Molybdemun supplements can help with the detox - molybdenum breaks down ammonia and aldehyde. Solgar makes a 150mg molybdenum chelate that seems like a balanced dosage.

I'd probably stop the Sacc B entirely for 4-7 days first. Then introduce 2 CP-1 capsules, best taken when stomach acids are low (eg an hr before eating, at bedtime, etc).

You could start the molybdenum any time -http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Chelated-Molybdenum-Tablets-Count/dp/B00ED3WOGS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386367196&sr=1-1&keywords=solgar+molybdenum RDA is 45mcg/day. So I try to use supps that are closer to this target. Solgar's and Holistic Health's are the lowest I've found. Solgar is 150mcg. So just use one/day. If you end up switching to something higher, be aware too much molybdenum can cause copper deficiency.

We're using 2-3 capsules of glutamine/day, each capsule =500mg. Seems to be helping a bit.

How's your own health, Momaine? Better I hope!

Thanks for asking about me LLM. I am doing pretty good. I wish I could say I've kicked Lyme's butt but I'm still struggling with Bartonella. My only symptoms that are left are joint pain (didn't even have it when I started this journey, well not much anyway) and some fatigue. (when I don't take my cholestyramine) Most of the time I feel blessed to have gotten as well as I have and I seem to be cancer free the last year and a half or so and that is a blessing.

Dd is doing ok. She is one of the kids who can't get ivig anymore and that has set her back. (though part of that may actually be symptoms from yeast) She wishes she were much better. She is frustrated. But she is still able to work full time. She tries hard to be independent despite all her struggles. It could be worse. I wish I could find out if she will be able to get ivig again. Not getting any answers there. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has seen a Dr. John Walter from Mass General?

I got the Solgar's and she will start it tomorrow. Do you think it would be ok to give dd Culturelle why I wait the 4-7 days? I have some of that on hand. It has worked fine for me. I give dd Glutathione but not Glutamine. Whole different thing, I would suppose?

I'm sorry about the remaining lyme, but so happy to hear about the cancer!!!

The reason I suggested stopping the Sacc B and then waiting a few days before adding in a different probiotic was to gauge any improvement from stopping the Sacc B. If you stop one but start another the same day, you won't be able to isolate any changes directly to the Sacc B. But if you feel you can't go that long w/o probiotics, then Culturelle is probably fine.

Yes, glutamine is totally different than glutathione. Glutamine is an amino acid. It's used in the body building world, as it helps reduce muscle pain caused by heavy workouts. So if DD is having muscle pain as a symptom of her yeast, glutamine should help. But I suggested it mostly for its role in replenishing the mucus lining in the gut.

In the best case, I'd hope to see an improvement in her worst symptoms over the coming week. But you probably won't see resolution for a month or more. Yeast is really, really hard to beat. And dont' forget that if she starts starving the yeast with diet changes and stays on the diflucan and/or nystatin, you may see a herx-like response. She may get quite PMS-y and you'll be able to tell from her cravings if you're having an impact. If cravings get bad but then decrease, that's a good sign.

If two weeks from now, you've stopped Sacc B, added CP-1 and glutamine and molybdenum, changed diet and still seem to be in the same or worse place, then talk to the doctor about stopping the diflucan for a time. My DS struggled with diflucan - it seemed to keep things in perpetual die-off mode. His tics got bad. Nystatin is much gentler b/c it stays in the gut only, doesn't travel throughout the body. But DS still has tics on the nystatin, which makes me think he's got leaky gut. As I said, diet changes have been really, really hard to make, so we're probably going to be working on this for awhile. (DS is not on abx, so at least we don't have that constant insult setting us back).

Thanks so much LLM. I know yeast is an issue for me and probably my DS even though his Dr said the blood work was negative. My older son battles with a rash that I think is connected. When he does the Paleo diet it is gone and when he slips it's back!

I will take the molybdenum. I tested low in that. Maybe I won't feel so bad from die off. Has anyone tried the protocol that SF_Mom suggested? I was thinking about it.

http://www.candidaplan.com/new/what_is_candida/%C2%A0