ACN Latitudes Forums

update on 23andMe sale/processing of kits

This just in - http://blog.23andme.com/news/23andme-provides-an-update-regarding-fdas-review/

So.. it seems as though they will still sell the kits and then provide the ancestry results and raw data, but not the health-related report. Seems to me, the "good stuff" is all in the raw data anyway and can be interpreted genetic genie or livewello. So... not a great result, but better than a total shut-down, I think. Hopefully they can iron out the issues with the FDA. I think it's obscene that apparantly the FDA assumes consumers can't be trusted with their own health information, but that's nothing new for us!

I just came on to post the response to my mom and saw your post. She ordered after 11/22....

Welcome to 23andMe.

At this time, we have suspended our health-related genetic tests to comply with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s directive to discontinue new consumer access during our regulatory review process.

We are continuing to provide you with both ancestry-related genetic tests and raw genetic data, without 23andMe’s interpretation.

If you are an existing customer please click the button below and then go to the health page for additional information. If you are a customer who purchased before November 22, 2013, you will still have access to your health-related results.

We remain firmly committed to fulfilling our long-term mission to help people everywhere have access to their own genetic data and have the ability to use that information to improve their lives.

Upon entering the site, please confirm you understand the new changes in our services.

I understand that 23andMe only sells ancestry reports and raw genetic data at this time. I understand 23andMe will not provide health-related reports. However, 23andMe may provide health-related results in the future, dependent upon FDA marketing authorization.