ACN Latitudes Forums

Did they really stop permitting 23andme?

The FDA issued a warning letter last week telling them to stop marketing the kits. I don't know if that means they have to stop selling or processing kits. I think they're still doing this, they just can't market. But I'm not positive. I did sign the petition. If you haven't done the kit and are thinking about it, I'd act now. Not sure what the future holds.

there is also a class action lawsuit now, against 23&me (hmmm timing seems hinky imo?)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2013/12/02/class-action-law-suit-filed-against-23andme/

Interesting piece in Businessweek
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-02/what-do-government-agencies-have-against-23andme-uber-and-airbnb

The other thread here has a link to the letter the FDA sent 23&me

Rumor only - but this was just posted on FB "Dr Lynch is saying he got an email from 23 and Me asking him and others to stop recommending the test kits in a week..."

Dr Lynch would be Ben Lynch at mthfr.net. The 23andMe site looks like you can still order kits but am guessing they've been giving a date by the FDA by which they have to comply. So I'd either order the kits now or contact Yasko to see if she's at all affected by this change in terrain. Yasko may continue to be an option since she's a NP and provides medical consultation. But she's $300 more than 23andMe. So some things to consider.

I have gotten on the 23andme site and printed out hard copies of everything I think is important information for my daughter. The site may or may not be available in the future, and I do not want to take my chances. I personally recommend everyone print out what they feel is important of the health data off the site just in case.

It is sad that folks who were happy with the service jump on a law suit just because of this :(. It is not like the company is giving out inaccurate information.