ACN Latitudes Forums

Aspergers son- questions about tics / stimming/OCD

Hi all- this is my first post, so please bear with me.

I have a 12 year old son with aspergers/ADHD.

Ever since he was 4 he would blink his eyes for months at a time then it would switch to throat clearing then it would switch to shirt chewing. All this did not bother him at all it would more get me stressed out because I was scared about others noticing and making fun of him. He would also have many periods of nothing.

The last 5 months it seems to be turning into something different and more perplexing because it is now actually bothering my son. He is still calling these things tics because that is what we called the other ones growing up not really knowing if it was tics or stimming.

Well he keeps saying to me the tics are getting worse and worse and how can they stop? I feel so bad an helpless I don't know what to tell him. He say it is constant thoughts in his head. Like strange words stringed together one of them are andsoareyouwhatandnothing. He has that same phrase repeated over and over. Another is " I swear to god" "no I don't I'm sorry I don't swear to god" over and over. Another is wishing I would die, but not really like he does not really wish it but his brain says the phrase and then he has to say back to it "no I don't". His one was very hard for him.

He also when he is putting a period on his homework has to make this high squeaky sound. Another is if he touches is left hand to something he must also touch his right hand to something

And couple other movements

With that that I can't remember. He hates all this and said it is happening so much, how can he get it to stop. Now my daughter has OCD so this is freaking me out that maybe he is getting it. OCD has been in our house with my daughter. She can't touch anything her brother touches. This has been going on 4 years now with not much of a change she is too scared to try and get better. She just has her life set up where she does not have to deal with it. She has already had partial treatment sees a psych every 2 weeks and nothing helps. I really don't think anything is going to help. My poor little boy has ha to go the last 4 years like he is contaminated. I have always told him though it is her not him and give him extra hugs and affection. Who knows how this hurt him though.

Anyways the thought of more OCD has me so saddened especially since he does not want it and keeps asking me to get rid of it.

Anyone else know if this is possibly just more tics/ Tourette's/ or stimming. I doubt it is stimming because I hear stimming makes them feel better and that is not he case. I keep being it up to his psychiatrist and she is not saying

Much. I am wondering also if this is being caused by his meds. I know in the past Serbian meds did make him have facial twitches or blowing on his hand. When med was taken away those behaviors stopped. He has been on focalin30mg xr for a long time. This medicine has always given him anxiety for first 2 hours every morning but is best so far for controlling ADHD.. Other meds have made him violent or see things. He is also on sertaline for anxiety and mirazapine 15 mg which I think is also for anxiety but he takes it at night to help him sleep. He used to be on clonidine until she put him on the mirazapine. I am also wondering if the mirazapine could be causing this although she said she did not think so.

So trying to figure out what he is doing stimming/tics/Tourette's/OCD. And then Is itbeing caused by the meds? Are there meds that fix this?

I just want to help him so bad and I don't know what to do.

Hi

Sorry to hear what you are going through

Have you ever looked into possible PANS/PANDAS/

If both children are exhibiting these behaviors it is always a possibility. There are a range of infections that can cause this, most notably strep, but also others. I am not saying this is what is occurring but just a few things you mentioned in both your son and your daughter made me wonder....

I really would suggest also posting on the PANS forum.

I do hope you find answers that can help to improve things for your family

• 2 weeks later...

With ticcing the child will have a premonitory sensation - tingling, itching - which will only go away after the child has done the tic. Ask your son if he has these feelings. This might help you decide if his symptoms are stimming or ticcing.

Our daughter had diagnoses of motor/vocal tic disorder (hadn't had it long enough for a dx of Tourette's), Asperger's and ADHD. Also a small amount of OCD. These symptoms were caused by a chronic bartonella infection (therefore classified as PANS) and have resolved almost completely with treatment. She does have some residual tic suggestibility, meaning if you ask how her tics are she will be forced to tic. Other than that she is great!

• 1 month later...

My daughter, Jessica, suffered with a movement disorder for 5 years. The tics, OCD behavior, ADHD and trouble sleeping were disabling. We tried supplements, diets and other therapies. After years of research, trial and error, I found the least invasive and least expensive therapy to be the most effective. She experienced a 95% improvement in symptoms within a month on a GMO-free diet. www.SafePlate.net is informational, safe and without anything for sale. My hope is that if we can help another family, it will bring meaning to the years Jessica suffered. Please contact us through the site if you need any support with a GMO-free diet or to share your GMO-free success story. Best wishes.

• 1 month later...

We have recently similar issue with our 4,5 yo DS.

He started tapping in November when on antibiotics - it is perfeclty sure that it was caused by antibiotics (Cedax - Ceftibutenum - third-generation cephalosporin). He had badly sore throat for 2 weeks and we were forced by situation and pediatrician as well to give this damn abx. Abx boosted his language re-gaining, so there was also good side of this.

I am sure he is able to control this behaviour, but it is very very hard to him. At the very beggining I thought it is Candida issue (maybe it still is) and started raising probios amount and then added some antifungals and so on. There were several days, when this behaviour diminished a little bit, but recently it becomes as bad as never. When working at the table or just one-to-one looks like he can control it and not tap, but when even little free while occurs - he starts again.

From September he has runny nose. There was some little break, but I am not sure if he was better during them or not. Last week he had very high fever (once) caused probably by ear - he started to complain on aching ear. We were at laryngologists two weeks ago and he said that there is something, but not so much... (honestly - I have no strength to talk to the doctors anymore - they are so much dumb). We're gonna go to another one (recommended by techinician from lab I used to check urine) in the beggining of April.

Apart of that he started developing himself much better than before - abx boosted something, what was blocking him (Morganella Morganii twice in urine and non-present last time).

Please explain if your children CAN control their tics or not. I am not sure as well as author of this topic if these bahaviour are just stimming or they are tics.

Do you have any suggestions? What to check and how?

Edited by borsooq

My daughter mentioned the premonitory sensation (tingling, itching) that causes her to have to tic. That sensation stays until the tic is performed. The tic can be delayed, but the sensation grows until it can no longer be ignored. After the tic is performed, the sensation stops for a while, but then comes back causing another tic to happen. I'm not sure stimming has a premonitory sensation involved.

Interesting that you found antibiotics increase ticcing in your son.

We found the same thing occurring throughout bartonella treatment. A change in antibiotic protocol or an increase of a current antibiotic would produce a die-off reaction from the mobilized endotoxins from the killed bacteria. Ticcing was one of DD's main indicators of toxin build up. Her body wasn't able to process and eliminate the endotoxins fast enough and the result would be an increase in both pain symptoms and ticcing. With increased detox protocols (low doses of methylated B's, epsom salt baths, magnesium, lemon juice, psyllium husk) the herx induced flare of ticcing would resolve within a week or so. There would also be an improvement in symptomology baseline.

This ticcing was the most prominent during the use of antibiotics/herbs used to treat bartonella. I could induce ticcing and shin pain (long bone pain is a bartonella symptom) with homeopathic herbal bartonella supplements (A-Bart) as well as abx at higher dosages. The ticcing would resolve upon withdrawl of those supplements/abx (with some time allowed for detoxing).

So before abx treatment began, I feel that ticcing was the result of bacterial endotoxin release caused by the natural function of DD's immune system. During treatment it was the result of abx-induced endotoxin release. Time allowed for proper detoxification always resulted in a resolution (but not always completely) of ticcing.

As safeplate mentions above, pesticides in food can be another source of toxins in an already overloaded child.

Edited by rowingmom

• 2 weeks later...

Again here. So recently we had very bad time. DS bahaves badly. 3 days ago he has got rash/blisters on his face around mouth. Today will be 6th day of fever. Moreover - I have similar problems. Everything looks like Strep Throat. His throat is in much better condition than mine, but still looks bad. As bad as he is sick as bad he behaves.

I think it will finish with abx again...