ACN Latitudes Forums

Ammonia levels High

Just recieved a phone caal about blood work from Dr N.

very high Ammonia levels..Im taking danny again today to check liver function and ammonia levels.Dr.N put him on a mediication I didnt pick it up yet .It starts with mar?? Ill fill you in later..

PS Hes been very aggitated lately which is why I went for a visit. I know this can be caused by depakote but hes on low dosage s. UGh any one have any info on this?? I always come here first

Thanks Again

Melanie

Thanks Rowingmom for posting. GMO food and pigs were scientifically studied, (in another country) and they found the liver was destroyed and the intestines which are normally used for sausage casings was to fragile and unusable. Makes you wonder why we have methylation issues, leaking gut and 12 year olds with fatty liver disease.

So is it food based? I read the article,He eats pretty good.Does eat sugar and carbs but also eats fruits and vegs.Drinks a lot of water etc...I feel stumped again. :(

It could be the CBS mutation causing high ammonia levels. We got our results by getting the 23andMe test and passing it through genetic genie (thank you LLM and others!). One of my daughters has always had high levels of ammonia and this is the only thing that ever suggested why. My other daughter never got her ammonia tested but she has the CBS mutation as well so I wonder about her levels.

"CBS Mutations

CBS (cystathionine beta synthase) catalyzes the first step of the transsulfuration pathway, from homocysteine to cystathionine. Dr. Yasko considers addressing CBS mutations as first priority aside from addressing the gut. CBS defects are actually upregulations. This means the enzyme works too fast. In these patients, it's common to see low levels of cystathionine and homocysteine since there is a rapid conversion to taurine. This leads to high levels of taurine and ammonia. The NOS mutation can exacerbate ammonia issues. Furthermore, addressing CBS can help lower excessive levels of taurine and help detoxify ammonia. Dr. Yasko recommends that one supports their CBS enzyme for at least 6 weeks before starting methylation supplements. When one tries to take nutrients to support their methylation cycle before addressing the CBS upregulation, all the nutrients basically lead to nowhere. Instead of generating glutathione, the supplements may deplete the rest of the cycle.......

The CBS Upregulation is a complicated subject and for more info, I suggest purchasing or finding the book Autism: Pathways to Recovery. Searching for other websites or online support groups talking about the subject may be of help as well."

Edited by suzan

It could also indicate yeast. Ammonia is a byproduct of Yeast. Symptoms could include white patches of skin usually on face, itchiness 'bottom of feet, palms of hands', eczema, cough, moodiness, fatigue, silliness especially after eating, pacing, biting nails, skin picking, etc. Fruits, sugars, carbs will feed yeast and why some crave it.

"One of Candida’s byproducts is ammonia, an alkaline gas that forms when the Candida Albicans yeast ferments sugar in your intestine. Ammonia increases the alkalinity of your digestive tract, and has even been found to promote the growth of other yeasts."

I'm not sure how this relates to your case, but here is my experience with ammonia and liver. My mother had Hepatitis C and was treated with interferon and multiple other interventions. As the liver was failing, the ammonia level goes up in the brain. Ammonia causes memory issues and personality changes. Many things can cause elevated liver production of ammonia; not just GMO foods. At this point, follow the treatment recommended by the doctor and later you could make dietary adjustments if necessary. You need to get the ammonia level down ASAP.

I picked up script for carnitor. Spoke with dr and did blood work again