ACN Latitudes Forums

My pediatrician won't follow Dr. K's advice..ugh

FLmom

Hi FL Mom,

We understand the frustration. Our pediatrition would not prescribe antibiotics. The neurologist she referred us to called PANDAS and PANS "theory". Our acute onset was less than 30-days ago. We were able to get our pediatrition to consult with another docter. After a 15-minute conversation our pediatrition prescribed a 10-day supply of antibiotics. The dosage shocked me. She is getting 1000 mg every 12 hours and weighs 45 lbs. We are hoping this will help.

For some of the newbies, I would not try to "fight" with or change your pedis mind. It will most likely be a futile attempt.Try to find a DAN doc close enough to drive to. They will take a much more proactive and comprehensive look into Pandas/Pans. As you may or may not be aware, there can be alot going on for you to have gotten to the critical mass state your kiddo might be in..... gentic predispositions, inflammation, infections(bacterial and viral) allergies(food and otherwise), immune dysregulation and dare I say it..... vaccine related issues. They will be very thorough looking for potential issues. We have three kiddos all with some variability in Pandas symptoms from minor in one kiddo to severe to severe in second and more mild in 3rd kiddo. For us, the DAN approach has been expensive but worth every dime, nickel and penny. If any one has questions please feel free to IM me.

The dosage is 875 2X/day and my son is 110lbs (13 years old). I don't think I want to attempt the Sacc Boullardi at this point if there is a chance it could make my son angry...he is angry enough as it is.

Is Augmentin upsetting to their stomachs? I'm afraid of that.

The dosage is 875 2X/day and my son is 110lbs (13 years old). I don't think I want to attempt the Sacc Boullardi at this point if there is a chance it could make my son angry...he is angry enough as it is.

Is Augmentin upsetting to their stomachs? I'm afraid of that.

Not sure I understand why your pedi felt this was a high dose based on his age and weight. It's a pretty typical dose for the kids here.

Augmentin never caused my son stomach upset but everyone is different. Taking it with food may help reduce upset. Here's a mainstream write up on aigmentin, doses and taking with food http://www.duanereade.com/health/DrugFactsheet/2522_1_0_2_0_0/Aclavulanate_Augmentin.aspx

Some good probiotics we've used are Theralac, Kirkman's Bifido Complex and CP-1. You probably want to shoot for 30-50 Billion CFUs to start. Some here use more than that but it depends on budget. They aren't cheap.

Give the augmentin with food. My son has been taking augmentin for 3 years, no stopping it, literally, and no stomach issues. My sons worst part of PANDAS was anger and rage. Sac boulliardi did not and does not affect him. It was recommended by Dr T. I started out using Florastor now I use Jarrow brand because of the price. You will need a probiotic in the billions if you stay on abx.