ACN Latitudes Forums

photosensitivity

deagar

Claire:

I am somewhat assuming that my son is photosentive. It is nearly impossible to go without screens for 10 days. His friends are all into the gameboy, my husband loves TV and the schools have flourescent lights and also show movies etc. on CRT TVs. So, if I am lucky enough to find someone to test for this with the Irlen method, will they be able to tell if he is photosensitive?

Also, I haven't tried the heavy metals or antioxidant/vitamin tests yet. If I do, do you remember how long they need to be off supplements etc?

Thanks - Deanna

Deanna

a daylight lamp is one that has one of the daylight simulating lightbulbs in it (Full Spectrum Light)

there are specialized sites that sell these, and you can also get the bulbs at home depot etc

Chemar:

I went to Home Depot today and I'm not sure if I got the right thing. Is it a regular bulb with "Enhanced color Spectrum" (the little rainbow of color over the bulb on the package? They also had bulbs that said day light bulbs but the were flourescent. They also had some that stated full spectrum color but they were spotlights. The guy I spoke to directed me to these but I didn't know if it was something real special that I should be looking for.

Thanks - Deanna

Deanna,

He does not have to be off supplements for the Spectracell FIA 5000 test. Nor for the hair metals or porphyrin tests.

Yes, of course I know how hard it is to do without screens for 7 days. This may not be right for you.

Good luck!

Claire

ps Definitely don't get the flourescent bulbs. I get the GE full spectrum brand that is at most large drug stores. Don't know the others.

sorry I missed your question Deanna

yes, we also use the GE Full Spectrum bulbs

we used to buy very expensive ones thru a website, but have found the GE to be perfectly adequate

and yes, I agree with Claire that you should avoid any fluorescent lighting ..........fluorescence is known to be a tic trigger, especially in photosensitive individuals

Deanna,

He does not have to be off supplements for the Spectracell FIA 5000 test. Nor for the hair metals or porphyrin tests.

Yes, of course I know how hard it is to do without screens for 7 days. This may not be right for you.

Good luck!

Claire

ps Definitely don't get the flourescent bulbs. I get the GE full spectrum brand that is at most large drug stores. Don't know the others.

Claire:

Does he need the hair metals test if he is doing the porphyrin test? Also, I thought I read on a different thread something about the same urine can be used to test plastic, arsenic etc. If that is the case, what test(s) do you recommend? Lastly, if there is heavy metal issues, we don't have to do chelation therapy do we? Is that the same as going on some antioxidants?

Thanks - Deanna

I would start with the porphyrin test over the hair test due to false negative on hair tests for kids that don't excrete metals well. I don't know what else it tests for, sorry, we were just interested in mercury/lead. Or do the Spectracell test first to see if he is low in antioxidants, which means higher metals are more likely.

We didn't chelate for mercury (Carolyn and Andy's son did). That is a personal decision with your doctor. We just supplemented for the antioxidants where he was low per the Spectracell test (in his case, cysteine and alphalipoic acid). This is different from DMSA/DMTP on antioxidants is not the same. Though chelation does sometimes involve alphalipoic acid also.

I just found out that the computer at school that had his LCD monitor has been messed up and so he has been using a CRT monitor for a couple of months with no issues. Yippee. The high school has all LCD monitors anyway, so only a few months left of CRT.

Cheers,

Claire