ACN Latitudes Forums

It's all going downhill since he is off antibiotics.

Cobbie- this was over 4 yrs ago. Due to Dr issues at the time, we couldn't get any abx or steroids for more than a month- not a good time.

BTW at time of T&A she was 100%.

When we finally got steroids, they made a huge difference. We ultimately had PEX, due to not being able to calm immune system . I think if we had given adequate dosing of abx and steroids quickly, our results would have been better.

She has had her ups and downs since, but has been able to live a completely normal life, with some anxiety and occasional manageable OCD.

Good luck- he will get better. We were never sorry we got rid of the tonsils :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ds, 14, is much worse than before his tonsillectomy. He is fidgety, paces, anxiety through the roof and wakes up every night. He argues with his Dad and I about everything. He is currently on 500 mg of amoxicilin and has tapered down to 10 mg of prednisone. We see doc on Wednesday and I want to ask about putting him back on high dose Augmentin. The steroid dose was not as high as the one a previous doc had used and I think that is why the results were not as good as before.

Any advice?

Ds, 14, is much worse than before his tonsillectomy. He is fidgety, paces, anxiety through the roof and wakes up every night. He argues with his Dad and I about everything. He is currently on 500 mg of amoxicilin and has tapered down to 10 mg of prednisone. We see doc on Wednesday and I want to ask about putting him back on high dose Augmentin. The steroid dose was not as high as the one a previous doc had used and I think that is why the results were not as good as before.

Any advice?

Cobbie- Isn't that a very low dose of Amox for his age and weight?

Any advice?

I think so. He is 14 and weighs in at 208. He previously was taking 875 mg of Augmentin XR.

Any advice?

I think so. He is 14 and weighs in at 208. He previously was taking 875 mg of Augmentin XR.

I personally think he should be on something stronger than amox after a tonsillectomy. But even with amox, that seems like a very low dose.

My son was also a wrestler before he fell off the cliff. He was also wrestling while not being on any abx and he came home with ringworm, his OCD was through the roof and it got worse after every match (we were clueless that it was pandas and he needed to be on abx until it was too late).

I would recommend high dose abx, especially through wrestling season. Also I would try to encourage him to wear the long sleeve wrestling shirt and legging at least to protect him during practices (DS started to wear it toward the end when his captain told how he got less rashes). The other kids and the mats pose a huge threat to our kids. During one match a kid licked my son, it was gross then, now I probably would have demanded a strep test too ; )

Is that 875 Augmentin a day? DS is on 2000 XR and he only weighs 120lbs.

T.Anna

I am going to ask for that dose of Augmentin for sure on Wednesday. He got a horrible rash on his stomach, back and waistband area. It took many weeks of antifungal spray and finally oral Diflucan to get a handle on the rash. Not one other kid on the team got a rash. The weird thing was that the rash was only under his clothing; the exposed areas on his arms and legs did not get a rash.