ACN Latitudes Forums

Do I Treat For Lyme?

Hi All! I am desperately looking for some advice.

My sons Igenex test came back with 4 bands (34, 39, 41 and 93.) This past year he was diagnosed with PANS and just recently with Lyme (October).

Problem is (or not problem) is that he is currently symptom free (or 97% better.)

He has been doing really well for 5 months now (a terrible 10 months prior to that.)

I have heard conflicting stories from the doctors we see, some say antibiotics to treat Lyme, others say herbs/isopathic remedies, others say treat, the others say wait.

Can anyone weigh in on their own experiences?

Can you have Lyme antibodies but have beaten Lyme?

He has never been on antibiotics for it. Right now he is only on supplements and homeopathics which have turned things around for us.

I am so confused as to what to do...especially with virtually no symptoms - granted he hasn't gotten sick (virus or bacterial infection) in awhile so I don't know how his body will react

Any advice or input would be so appreciated.

I never specifically treated for Lyme. He had coxsackie as the trigger and so we treated 30 days with Acyclovir that made a huge difference in June. After that, everything he couldn't tolerate he was able to. The next major turn around was when we started homeopathics to modulate his immune system. He did have a western blot done through Labcorp in April but it was negative. We just tested through Igenex this August as a precaution and were shocked that it came back positive. We haven't done anything other than supplements to address deficiencies and methylation.

Edited by cobygurl

Once you have lyme, I don't think you can erradicate it. The different forms sequester in cartilage and other less vascularized tissues that are hard for both the immune system and abx to reach. I think the best we can hope for is to bring the immune system to a place where it can keep the infection from re emerging. Like chicken pox in children - if the immune system is suppressed in adulthood a shingles infection appears. Only in the lyme case, you would have a relapse.

I think you can expect to have IgG antibodies to most infections if the immune system is working properly. If IgG is very high or rising and not declining, or if IgM is positive you may have an active infection.

But it sounds as though your son's immune system is handling his infections properly; that he has reached a place of balance. He is showing no autoimmune response and is not symptomatic. This is how the body is supposed to handle infection.

My suggestion would be to continue on the supplements and homeopathics you are using, they are obviously working, and stay alert for symptoms of relapse.

Gee Whizz. You are at the place where we all hope to be :) . A kid with a body that reacts properly to infection. Not a kid with no infection, that is an impossibility.

Edited by rowingmom

Hello--At last visit to Doctor, she said that ds was showing a little bit of Babesia/mico (with muscle testing) and put son on 100 Mg Minocycline 2xday plus a homepathic abx called Cryptolepis (10 drops/day).

Now 3 weeks later he picked up a cough and when I heard it getting stronger, I switched to 500 mg mino 2xday and e-mailed doctor. Coughs used to be the started of a PANS episode but not sure if that is still true but with what doc. said 3 weeks ago figured mico. could be part of it so started stronger treatment.

Funny thing is, the doctor (who I now see) also said 'my Babesia' was showing up a little even though I was symptom free. She put me on a homeopathic abx called C.S.A. Formula. She directed me to slowly increase. When I first started it gave me the worst headache so I backed off on dosage which got rid of headache. Still do not have any symptoms but will probably be taking this for a while. Was surprised at how strong a homepathic med could be! She said since I was reacting then my body needed it.

My son did not seem to react to his homepathic abx.

Now we are both on 'maintenance levels' of our homepathic abx. No increasing for now.

So maybe all you need now are the supplements and maybe try a homepathic abx.? Something slow so you do not rock the boat? See what your doctor thinks.

Edited by JuliaFaith

Thank you all so much for your input.

I have an appt tomorrow with our doctor and bring up the point that he seems to have virtually no symptoms (he does seem to have a minimal tongue tic today)

I just am so scared that if I don't aggressively treat for it that I will be leaving it to bury itself deeper into his body but you all make such great points.

I suppose what I will do is address his 23andme results first (which we just got) and see if we can get to another level of healing and take things one day at a time.

I am just curious, do any of you who treated with antibiotics ever wish you had not and tried the herbal route first? I had read some articles by Dr. Klinghardt that before ever addressing Lyme we needed to address heavy metals, parasites and detox etc...first. Apparently he said doing this would speed up the time anyone would need to be on antibiotics. Any thoughts on that?

Metals and parasites were not problems for us (we did some very brief chelation but nothing of significance). I do wish we'd transitioned to herbals about a year sooner than we did (did abx for 2.5 yrs) but no, to do it again, I'd still do abx first and work on other things at the same time, then transition to herbs over time. DS was in too bad a place by the time we discovered lyme and we needed to get it under control. I'm not sure everything Klinghardt advocates is practical for kids. JMO.

We started out seeing an integrative MD who we still see for some things. Now my ds sees a doctor who follows Dr. Klinghardt and have treated for parasites around 4 times now and we continue to detox heavy metals still. After parasite treatment the first time (about 2 mos. treatment) there was an immediate improvement in ds anger issues.

My son has progressively improved with treatment. He is testing pretty healthy. My son has an immune issue (PANS) so even if he is testing healthy one month, he sometimes needs support the next.

Albeit, son's treatment is a bit unusual compared to most on this forum. We have systematically treated parasites/worms (worms only once); bacteria; viruses; and mold. We have addressed methylation and biofilm. We have used allopathic meds (prescription-i.e. abx), natureopathic, and homeopathic. Abx use has been 3 months here and there but not the entire time.

Klinghardt treatment is out-of-the-box but he treats aggressively for those with chronic health issues and has great success doing it (as other doctors do as well).

Follow your gut and you will choose the best path for your son. Best wishes on healing.

Hi,

Just wanted to update you all.

Just spoke with our LLMD and he agrees that without symptoms (or minimal symptoms) we should not rock the boat, and continue on our current treatment without adding abx.

He is giving us some anti-microbials like grapefruit seed extract and a few other things until our next appt at which point he will re-evaluate. We may run some more tests through Igenex.

Thank you all again for your thoughts - I appreciate each and every one of you. I can't even begin to express my gratitude as to what a support you all and this forum have been to me!

• 1 month later...

My dd who is 5 was starting to show some babesia like symptoms - deep sighs/breathing every 1/2 min. She had been complaining of tummy aches for weeks on and off before it started. Since then with the winter bugs, she's had a string of virus/stomach bugs for the last 3 weeks as well. Now she's getting better from the viruses/cold/etc... but her breathing/sighing still remains. Brought her to the ped for the breathing - and she said she's probably taxed from the viruses and will resolve on her own. Asked her to do a strep and it was positive. Does that mean I should treat with abx (possible pandas) or wait to see if the breathing resolves on it's own? Or go with the homeopathic route? Since I have tourettes, I'm a little hyper-sensitive as to how i should handle any symptoms that may crop up in my kids.

Coby gurl - what kinds of supplements/herbal/homeopathics did you do with yours?