ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone experience herxing from B12 shots?

Jaal

perhaps it is not herxing. our kids get really really hyper from methylcobalamin and we need to do other forms of b12.

depending on your genetic mytations, you may get a different rection to methyl groups, folinic acid, and so on.

when kids are hyper niacin helps. but go easy with it becaue of flushing.

I wouldn't call it a herx. Herxing is technically only from the toxins released by spirochettes (lyme or syphilis) and we use the term more loosely here to also apply to the toxins released by other dying bacteria or fungi (e.g. yeast) or parasites. But I don;t think I'd use it for a vitamin.

Two thoughts came to mind - like Pr40 suggested, one possibility is that your child needs a different form of B12. There are 4 I know of - cyanoB12 (which is widely used in mutlivitamins and is a pretty poor form), adenoB12, hydroxyB12 and methylB12. I believe - but am not sure - that the shots are usually methylB12. Not everyone does well on methylB12.

The other thoughts I had was that if you have certain genetic mutations, you may also need to be supplementing methylfolate - a specific form of folate (vitamin B9). B9 and B12 work together as co-factors to make multiple things happen in the methylation cycle. If you only take one without the other, you can develop what's called a folate trap. This causes homocysteine to build up and could "clog" your some of your detox pathways. My son develops tics when his body is trying to rid itself of toxins and can't do it quickly enough.

So it could be the form of B12, a lack of the correct form of folate to go with it, or a problem with a detox pathway. What sort of doctor are you working with? Would s/he be able to explore the issue with you?

My b-12 shots are cyanacobalamin, but they also contain other b vitamins as well. Mine contains B1, B6, B12 and d-panthenol (a form of b5). When I give myself a b-12 shot (500mcg of b-12) it tends to make me jittery, but being an adult, I compensate fairly well.

What form are you using, what dose are you using (ie 2 mls of mine contains 1000mcg of b-12) and what else, if anything, does it contain?

Edited by Mayzoo