ACN Latitudes Forums

Dr. B's office

PIK

My last hope in this whole saga was to get an appointment with Dr. B in Connecticut. I had called a few weeks ago and left a message, and they never called me back. Today I called again, and the secretaries were rude. The first one didn't know about and transferred me to the second one. She said I can't get an appointment because I'm on medicare. I said, can I pay out of pocket, she said that over a hundred people were on the list to be seen. I felt like they didn't want me to be seen because I'm on Medicare. Well when I call again I'm going to tell them I don't have insurance. Why would they care if I paid out of pocket anyway? I was just hoping that Dr. B could help guide my rheumatologist or doctor, and even me, in the right direction.

Edited by Sheila Rogers
Trying to stick to our guidelines on discussions of physicians and their offices.

We have had similarly frustrating experiences with the office staff. It is very very frustrating that they are the gatekeepers to Dr. B. He, however, is wonderful. Try again, and get on the wait list. We were on the wait list and kept calling about cancellations and ended up being seen much sooner.

I wouldn't even mention insurance and if they ask, simply say I'm self pay and prepared to pay in advance or pay at the time of my visit or pay cash or whatever similar phrase seems appropriate.

I haven't been to his office in years but even back then, it seemed his long-time staff struggled with the changes in the practice. Pandas parents and kids are certainly a whole different breed than allergy patients. Frequent calls, high maintenance, very non-routine sorts of crisis issues...I'm sure some of them pine for the good ol days of allergy shots.

One thing that maybe his current patients can answer - I know he has one or two PAs in his practice now. Is it possible to make an appt with them instead of Dr B and maybe get in sooner? Or does Dr B have to do every new patient consult himself?

Dr. B has to do the initial consultation after her sees you once then you can schedule appointments with his PA. We've also had nothing but rudeness from the secretaries. We complained and when we did we heard that we weren't the only ones having problems. Dr. B is a pioneer and we are lucky to have him, but it's beyond frustrating dealing with his staff.

If you have Lyme, your child is older and feel IVIG might be helpful ..... there is a Dr. Katz in CT that can help as an alternative. I am not sure if Dr. Katz sees pediatric patients but its certainly worth a call. He recently spoke at ILADS with regards to his success with IVIG for Lyme patients.

There was no goal. I was just wondering if it was something I said, or if others experienced the rudeness as well. They were REALLY rude, not just a tad, and I thought I may have said something wrong. And they DO stand in the way, because they form like a barrier between the patient and the doctor. They basically told me flat out that I can't be seen.

If you are paying out of pocket anyway, why not just go to see somebody else. I was just at the NE Conference and heard Dr. Kenneth Bock speak and was very impressed by his knowledge, intellect, flexibility and careful approach. He is an integrative doctor with a strong following. We're not patients but I have a friend who swears by him because he cured her daughter. From what I hear, his office is professional and organized and his pedigree is top tier. http://www.bockintegrative.com/

I don't mean to be rude, but what is your goal exactly? who cares if secretaries are not nice?

if you want to see dr b, what they do or not do should not stand in your way.

The staff is EVERYTHING when it comes to working with a doctor. They can make or break your experience. I know first hand trying to work with a certain Pandas Dr. - it was a NIGHTMARE. In the end, I got sicker, nothing was accomplished, insurance was denying everything, and I was DROPPED or forgotten as a patient and felt like I was used and abused b/c of a very very bad receptionist. And I constantly think, what's the excuse? Hire good people! Hire knowledgeable people! Hire compassionate people! My local psychiatrist has, my psychologist has, my ENT has, etc. etc. What's the excuse?

IMO - the staff is a direct reflection of the doctor. They can make things easy or they can become a HUGE stressful barrier. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.

That's my little rant. But my advice to other young patients (like myself) is read reviews, and find out about the staff, first thing. And in my many years of being sick, it never worked out with any doctor that had terrible staff............

I have to chime in here. We see Dr.B and he is an amazing Dr.! He is brilliant, compassionate, and professional. We have been traveling to Ct. Since March of 2012. Dd 7's onset was 9/11. I believe the issue with the secretaries is that the practice has grown tremendously. Half of his practice is dedicated to Allergy patients and he also sees a large number of PANDAS patients (I have heard in the neighborhood of 1,000). I don't think they can handle the demands. So it's not just you - I have been on the other end and felt the frustration. Insurance coverage was one of the first questions we asked as we made our appt. We waited 3-4 months for our initial appt with Dr.B. and he is well worth the wait.

I just wanted to say that after attending the PANDAS conference it made me realize just how dedicated these physicians are to us. They have stuck their necks and reputations out on the line to take care of our kids when many others have turned their noses up to our symptoms and diagnosis or just refused to listen. The fact that these doctors are still taking new patients at all is a huge blessing. Many doctors that have full practices simply turn new patients away, so I would have to agree that a doctor such as this one is definitely worth the wait. I can also say that working in a busy doctors office is extremely stressful and they do take a lot of abuse. It's a tough job to say the least. But the bottom line is we have to stick together and stand behind these doctors if we expect them to continue to make the sacrifices of their own time and reputation to help us.

I totally understand the hassles of doctors offices, not only do I visit them way to frequently, but I work in one as well. I have gripes many times also and can validate your need to vent. But please, for the sake of the few doctors that we have working with us, please don't include the names of the docs. It's just not fair.