ACN Latitudes Forums

Labs show viruses, but should it show titers too?

It shows Igg viruses on labs. I know that means an old virus. So can I assume that titers are listed ONLY if it is a current virus??? My girl is showing slight improvement with the minocycline/Bactrim for bartonella and lyme, but she still tosses and turns all night and her hers flutter open all night long. Thinking of adding valtrex in again, but does it make sense to treat a virus if its dead?. My gut feeling is that we are REALLY missing something since she has been on mino/bactrim for quite awhile and sleep is still horrible (little improvement) and racing thoughts are just awful. Would like your opinion. Thanks

IgG measures are titers. And elevated IgG against virus can be an indication of either a past infection or a current chronic infection. If you remeasure in 4-6 weeks, you will get a better idea: If the IgG titers are rising, its probably a current infection.

On my child's test it says....Low - Normal - High (under high is says 4.85) Is that the titer number? Thanks!

If there are no numbers under LOW and NORMAL, then probably his titers are high at 4.85. All labs report differently, but most will give you a "normal" range to compare your #s to.

Can titters be high for igg? Sounds strange that they can be since its old infection, right?

IgG titers have a "normal" range for most common pathogens, since people carry titers from infection or exposures that their immune systems have "learned" to defend against. New infections(or exposures) will initiate the production of higher quantities of specific titers to protect you from it. The first infection (or infestation, perhaps) w/ a particular pathogen usually activates IgM titers 1st, which wain as the IgG titers take over. But, subsequent infections frequently only cause a rise in IgG- so elevated IgG titers may mean a new or chronic infection, especially if they continue to rise over several blood draws. If it is really an old, not active anymore infection, then you should see a decline in IgG titers over time. Continually high or rising IgG indicates the presence in the body of a pathogen that has not yet been successfully vanquished by the body. But you need more than a single measure of IgG to know if its really an old infection or an existing, active one.

Our Dr. is old school and he treats any IGG titers over 4 times normal. Many Drs have been told to ignore this. I think that is part of our children's problem. Many people are walking around with silent infections creating havoc in others. My non PANDAS son dropped out of college for chronic fatigue and inability to concentrate. His dr said his HHV-6 titers were 20x normal and didn't mean anything! We are treating just like my other son and he is doing a lot better.

When I was young if a sibling got strep we all got a shot of penicillin. Repeated strep, tonsils taken out. Now Drs get chastised for antibiotics and we probably allow infections to ping pong around the family. My DS has myco titers which haven't moved in a year till I started treating myself. I had no idea! Coincidence...hmmm

Drs need to stop feeling guilty about antibiotics and aggressively treat all family members. 80% of antibiotic use is our food supply. That is what truly needs to change.