ACN Latitudes Forums

Cunningham's Paper linking SC and antibodies

This is relating to the Cunningham test. Sydenham's chorea diagnosed kids tested higher for dopamine 1 and 2 autoantibodies vs normal kids. Kids with higher dopamine 2 tended to have correlatingly high ASO ( antistreptolysine O ) titers. Those titers are used to diagnose strep infection.

This is relating to the Cunningham test. Sydenham's chorea diagnosed kids tested higher for dopamine 1 and 2 autoantibodies vs normal kids. Kids with higher dopamine 2 tended to have correlatingly high ASO ( antistreptolysine O ) titers. Those titers are used to diagnose strep infection.

This. Exactly. I got the gist. Just couldn't summarize.

Our novel findings suggesting altered balance in the dopaminergic system may provide a new approach in understanding autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders with possible implications for diagnosis and treatment.”

Soon, please!

here is a summary that I put together. the question is now, as you will see, if anyone on the forum had experience with this valproic acid and if it worked.

From page 5: "These antibody-targeted antigens namely, D1R and D2R, are

key components in the regulation of the dopaminergic pathways

which are considered to be the source of the chorea and

behavioral symptoms. Consequently, both are successfully targeted

with anti-dopaminergic drugs [14]."

The research cited in the endnote 14 says, “In view of the present results we recommend valproic acid as the first choice drug to treat Sydenham chorea.” (“Comparison of the efficacy of carbamazepine, haloperidol and valproic acid in the treatment of children with Sydenham's chorea: clinical follow-up of 18 patients.”)

Valproic acid, “Valproic acid (VPA, Valproate), an acidic chemical compound, has found clinical use as an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug, primarily in the treatment of epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and, less commonly, major depression. It is also used to treat migraine headaches. brand names Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depakene Crono (extended release in Spain), Depacon, Depakine, Valparin and Stavzor.”

I will have to dig up the Cunningham tests we did for both our kids in 2009 and compare with this article. Agnes26, thank you for finding this article and posting the link. I will print it out and bring it with us on our visit to the ped rheumatologist doc we are scheduled to see at Duke next month. She works in conjunction with a Duke neurologist and they specialize in treating autoimmune encephalitis. Dr L referred DS15 to her, and ordered additional blood tests for her review. She thinks there is still some autoimmune generation happening, and we have missed the origin of it all along.

I am glad Dr Cunningham is linking her testing to SC, which is a more accepted diagnosis over PANDAS / PANS. We have been advised not to mention PANDAS at Duke, as they want no part of that controversy...which is fine by us...we just want help. We are desperate after 4 and a half years of seeing DS suffer.

Do we know why Swedo felt she had to coin a new diagnosis some 15 years ago anyway? Is it because PANDAS kids have neuro-psych symptoms without chorea? Both our kids have chorea, which present more like tics most of the time...but then, there is the other neuro stuff as well, especially with DS. School is very difficult for him at this time...ADD/ADHD, brain fog, constant tics, cannot do homework, etc. We have discussed home schooling if needed. Good note on the Valproic acid. We would certainly try some Depakote if it would help.

I find it interesting they had to team with a hospital in Jerusalem to produce this study. Is there not a pediatric hospital in the US willing to do a study like this?

Edited by MMC

Dr. Cunnigham's last study was conducted with Tel Aviv University. There must be a push for research there as the CNN Dr.Gupta Cannabis documentary also focused on a farm there.

What does it mean if my DS's d1 and d2 were in the average? Our camKinaseII was very high at 209.

T.Anna