ACN Latitudes Forums

23andme

hey y'all -- I've read 23andme might have some utility in helping those with more vague, treatment-resistant psychiatric symptoms, but I was wondering if it yielded anything that made a significant difference in anyone's life?

I am a bit lost as far as methylation and the like goes -- I should be an 'undermethylator', but methyl-donors make me more agitated etc. and it would be nice to know how I metabolize certain drugs, including caffeine.

But my psychiatric symptoms are so bad at the moment that I've been wondering if the information it yields will make much of a dent, or just mildly improve things. The reason I ask is because money is a bit tight at the moment, but I do have the opportunity to get the test as a birthday gift.

Thanks!

Treating methylation issues has made a world of difference for my family and specifically in helping my kids' neuropsych issues. I've written about this topic ad nauseum so please search the archives. 23andMe raw data is only the first step. You then need to use other apps to help you interpret that data. This thread walks you through it and gives you some helpful links. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3928&page=2 Post #18.

This is also a good "methylation for Dummies" introduction: http://autismnti.com/images/Website-_Yasko_Education.pdf

Of the nearly $50K I've spent on tests and treatments for my kids, 23andMe was among the best money spent. But do also read this post to be as informed as possible about the pros and the cons of genetic testing. http://flourishanyway.hubpages.com/hub/Should-I-Get-At-Home-Genetic-Testing

Thanks for the reply, LLM. I post on numerous boards and am wary of clogging them up with identical questions, so do my best to search the archives first. I read over one or two 23andme threads, but didn't have a concrete impression of how dramatic the improvements had been, which is why I posted.

Your last sentence is a heady affirmation, so I will definitely put some thought into getting the test!

remember, 23andMe will tell you the same thing that you already know because of your symptoms and your ancestors illnesses, only more precisely. In the best case, it might give you some whys. but, there is a way around it, you can assume that you have certain mutations and start the treatment with CBS. if you are wrong, you'll know perhaps right away.

I am also not sure that you will have dramatic improvement right away. that may be an ulrealistic expectation. Also, metyhaltion alone, even if you do the right thing, may not give you that result. After all, we are not just genes. If we were, we would be no different that our syllblings and, well, flies.

so, think about other things that might help you psychatric symptoms assuming that they are caused by an auto-immune disorder. is there anything in your enviroment to make them worse? food? life-style? and so on.

pr40 - I have to disagree that you could just assume you had a mutation based on symptoms and family history and that you'd know if you were right when you treated. Once I found my DD had an MTHFR issue, I assumed it was from me, based on a long family history is heart disease, macular degenration and stroke. My DHs side didn't have these issues. So I assumed I had an MTHFR issue and started methylfolate and methylB12. These things, in hindsight, added to my anxiety. But I struggle with anxiety anyway and have Pans issues in the house, so it felt "normal" to worry so much.

When 23andMe finally dropped its prices, I did the test for DH and me and lo and behold - HE has the MTHFR issue and mine is normal! I actually need less methyl donors, not more. When I switched to adenoB12 and regular folate, my anxiety significantly dropped, even tho the stressors in my life stayed the same. So in my case, making assumptions based on symptoms and history led me to wrong supplements. For $99, the test seems like a far safer option.

I do agree that methylation is not the be all and end all and that other things still need to be considered/addressed. And not everyone sees that same dramatic or rapid results I've seen. But if CyberDog is asking "is it worth doing? Is there a payoff?" then I'd say absolutely. Even for those who don't respond dramatically, it's a good way to either find really good answers or at least know you've not overlooked something foundational.