ACN Latitudes Forums

Alzheimers/PANS Linked?

I read an article recently about the fact that Alzheimer's patients had been found to have high CamKinase II protein activity in their brains. When I read this, I was intrigued, because as you all know, Dr. C's research, and recently released blood test tests for CamKinase II activity. So, I recently called the Alzheimer's Association, and asked if they knew anything about the possible correlation between Alzheimer's and infection, and they said that there is some research being funded to study that! Just thought I'd pass that information along.

My FIL died from Alzheimer's and my DH's aunt also just recently died from it. Also, my dad had Parkinson's, and although I can't find any research showing a correlation between infection and Parkinson's (and I called them, too, but they didn't respond), he was EXACTLY like my DS in so many ways. Even had terrible OCD (hoarding), anxiety, and several other symtpoms. His came on suddenly in his late teensBefore he died, I told him that I suspected he had the same thing my children have. Personally, I just think that so many neurological and psychological illnesses are related.

I have always found it interesting that the most common advice for family members of older folks is that if thy have any change in personality or behavior - to get them into their doctor for a full medical work up, but in our children, it's get them to the psychiatrist/pharmacy!

Oh, and by "interesting", I really mean infuriating...

Edited by airial95

• 2 weeks later...

LOL advanced member. My DS Dr says it is all related. A neuro immune response creating inflammation in the brain. Last year at 89 my father-in-law started having Alzheimer's symptoms with OCD. The big university hospital said it was depression and spent 6 months addressing his change in mood. I asked his old fashion primary to run blood work. Sure enough he matched my DS! The highest titer was HHV-6. We did valcyclovir but slowly. We saw confusion at first and than clarity. Maybe it was hard detoxing. Than we got him mentally back to find out he had cancer. Wonder what would of happen if infection was addressed sooner.

Veterinarians first look at infections if pets behavior changes... Why not children?

Sure enough he matched my DS! The highest titer was HHV-6. We did valcyclovir but slowly. We saw confusion at first and than clarity. Maybe it was hard detoxing. Than we got him mentally back to find out he had cancer. Wonder what would of happen if infection was addressed sooner.

Veterinarians first look at infections if pets behavior changes... Why not children?

Sad, but true : (

I guess mainly because pet psychologists aren't given as much respect as child psychiatrist : /

T.Anna

LOL advanced member. My DS Dr says it is all related. A neuro immune response creating inflammation in the brain. Last year at 89 my father-in-law started having Alzheimer's symptoms with OCD. The big university hospital said it was depression and spent 6 months addressing his change in mood. I asked his old fashion primary to run blood work. Sure enough he matched my DS! The highest titer was HHV-6. We did valcyclovir but slowly. We saw confusion at first and than clarity. Maybe it was hard detoxing. Than we got him mentally back to find out he had cancer. Wonder what would of happen if infection was addressed sooner.

Yes, 3bMom. Vets do first look at infection. In fact, when my DS20 needed emergency open heart surgery this summer, and I knew that bartonella could cause the kind of damage he had to his aortic valve (problem started with congenital defect we didn't know about, though), I called our vet to find out what lab to use to test him for bartonella. Surgeon thought I was out of my mind to insist on testing (I told him I was paying, so what did it matter?) Vet didn't think that was strange at all. And, test was very complete, accurate, and DS came back positive! If docs would just stop denying it, and trying to thwart attempts to check for and treat infection, we'd have a lot less sick people in the world, save a ton of money to be used for other things, and I guess the medical industry might think they would go broke?

Do the vets test for Bartonella differently than a doctor would? This is all very interesting.

Also, concerning Alzheimer's, in addition to infection/inflammation, I wonder about statins possibly being a cause. Cholesterol is very important in the brain, and many docs are realizing the whole statin thing is a sham. I just wonder if the statin drugs might also be contributing to the number of Alzheimer's patients.

http://vimeo.com/77730824 Part 1

Part 2

Since many Alzheimer patients have Lyme and many PANS kids have Lyme I am not surprised to see someone trying to link the 2.

Agree, Alan MacDonald did a study on Alzheimer's pts (deceased ) brains and a large percentage had Spirochetes in their brains. http://alzheimerborreliosis.net/research/

If this link doesn't show up its Alzheimer borreliosis.net (one word no space)

Edited by Hopeny