ACN Latitudes Forums

My son's progress

patty

Faith,

Sorry for the late welcome. My son is seeing a new ped chiropractor for the last month, and started to have more symptoms sparadically, so i have been a bit stressed out and been kind of quiet.

Just got a chance to read your recent post about your son. Our son are close in age. Mine will be 7 in a month.

I will try to be as concise as possible, since my son's sudden onset acute nodding tics, we have done various things within the last 10 months.

Phase 1:

We used acunpuncture to relax his nervous system, then later added chiropractic to realign his neck to alleviate headache and craniosacral therapy to calm his nervous system.

Phase 2:

Added Chinese medicine, B1 & B12 supplements.

Phase 3:

Treated by ND and NAET. We did a food sensitivty test for food and a stool test. Everything my son took caused him more symptoms, especially the homepathic detox. In retrospect, i think my son should be detox slower. 2 months later, decided to stop treatment from the ND. NAET was used to decensitize him from food and environmental allergen. We treated most of the food but did not finish, but will restart in a few months. The reason why i think NAET is important is that i want my son to eat a wide variety of food to obtain nutrients, rather than taking supplements. However, i am not oppose of it. I would feel better to supplement him if he was tested for deficiency. My son is a good eater and pretty healthy, other than the tic. My son did have asthma and have overcome it this past year. He does have nasal allergy and is better than a year ago.

Phase 4:

Start eating 90% organic, drinking purified water, watching LCD TV only, stop using mircowave, nonstick pans, aluminum foil ( we only use glass, stainless steel and porcelin) and harsh cleaning products as well as shampoo, soap & lotion. Avoid MSG, food additives & colorings and preservatives 99% of the time. We also eat food with few ingredients, and less food combination. Almost forgot, he has an air purifier in his bedroom.

Phase 5:

Daily epsom salt bath. I highly recommend it, it helps reduce tics.

I would say, my son's tic is at about 90% better. However, starting this month, he started to tic more sparadically. It may be due to the new chiropractic treatments & craniol work (we are seeing someone new this month), or maybe he is loosing his tooth, or just the nature of the tic? In any case, it is much more mild than what it was, so this is comforting to know. And i am very hopeful that he will outgrow it. From this experience, i have learned to think POSITIVE.

Currently, he is not on any supplements. Just 250mg vit C for his nasal allergy for the past 3 weeks.

Please feel free to ask me anything. I hope this is helpful info. to some of you.

Patty

Our son does not seem to tic at all now for about 4 weeks. We did the one week TV, that seemed to slow the tics way down, then put him on "Natural Calm" and some bcomplex. No pop, junk food, MSG additives. I know we did too much all at onece, now if they come back I won't know where to start! But he is going to be 8 next week and we are going to Disney world as well as a cruise, so I hope he stays tic free thoughout it all.

Lenny

Thanks for that guys, it helps to see what others are doing and the effects. I have been following much of these suggestions over the course of last year and so am stumped as to how I can be doing all these healthy things and still having a big problem. I Has anyone here had a long road to success? I mean, now I am dealing with two to three different tics at a time and I guess I just can't understand. I would think at best he should be doing much better, not worse.

So I guess something else is lurking here. I know I have to wait for the answers for I am working under guidance of naturopath and DAN doctor, but its hard.

Somehow my gut feeling is that my son's problem has to do with dairy and caesin. Just my feelings from past. About 9 months ago, when he had a vocal, I stopped giving dairy, (just obvious dairy like mild, ice-cream, cheeses) and he stopped within a week or so. I was convinced that's what was making him make the sounds. And it stayed away all summer. I stuck to the diet clean up about 90% and all was good.

Maybe his intolerance is routed deeper, like to hidden dairy too? But we did a month of dairy free, caesin free, (everything free!) elimination diet, and I still heard something. But now that I have reintroduced some things, just not milk and ice cream, it does sound a little harder or obvious, so maybe there is something there. So I am stumped. That is why I went ahead and did the Alcat food sensitivity test. I pray this uncovers something.

What do you all think? Anything ringing a bell here for anyone? Would enzymes to break down gluten/casein help? Has anyone tried with success? Searching....

Thanks

Faith

Faith,

I am also frustrated finding my son's tic trigger(s). It has been inconsistent. When he is waning, the tic triggers when he is waxing do not bothre him. At this point, i decided to just stick to our strict diet. My son was tested sensitive to wheat & dairy. Since he was treated with NAET, i allowed a moderate amount in his diet. So no MSG, food additivies & colorings, and preservatives. Although i am not sure if these are his tic triggers, it is considerate neurotoxin and also in unhealthy food, so really it does not hurt not to eat it.

You mentioned your son is getting chiropractic treatment. Does he also get craniolsacral work done? According to my son's chiro, the body heals faster if you do the two together.

I didn't see the connection between tic reduction and chiro adjustment until 3/4 mos. later. So if it is not causing an increase in tics, you may want to consider sticking it out. I think it takes the body some time to reap the benefit of the treatment. Our son's NAET dr. gave us a pretty good tip. Give any new treatment 2/3 months before evaluating, assuming it is not causing more problems.

You mentioned your son has various motor tics. Have you tried epsom salt baths? If your son is having a bad day, do it 2X a day, once in the am & pm. That should help calm the tics.

Does your son have allergy & asthma?

Can you be more specific as to what you have done and your child's health history? Maybe then someone here can offer more suggestions.

Patty

Faith,

My child is on enzyme for almost 2 years.

First we try the diet of wheat, and dairy free but there are so many hidden ingredients.

Especially when you eat out or birthday party.

A single slice of cake can throw your experiment(bad choice of word) back 6 months and you will

be confused if it is not the diet that is making him better.

With the enzyme we feel we are covered 99% of most of the time and sure enough after about 7 months

we noticed a change in free. Yes about 7 months. Enzyme is not the only thing we did to shore up his

immune system, probiotic, flax oil,etc..

The true indicator was his allergy , claritin for one week for whole year , perhaps..before he was on Zyrtec 200 days of the year.

Fixing a leaky gut takes almost absolute avoidance of these offending food.

It is not easy.

Often time we see a child gets better , so we decided to let little things back in.

That itself is the trigger. It is like not finishing the full dose of antibiotic because you see the child is symptom free.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sorry, I didn't get that line"we noticed a change in free". (a typo?) Please clarify.

Did you think the enzymes reduced tic symptoms before seven months or you only saw improvement after seven months. I just wonder if the enzymes helps the foods break down better and not cause the problems associated. How is your child doing presently? Thank you and regards, Faith

Sorry,

lost train of thought..and it was a typo.

I think it was after about 7 months where we say he has turn from worst to better.

It is a gradual notice in his health. He gets sick less. Allergy goes down.

Enzyme breaks down food to the level that it can not leak out from the gut lining.

where it can travel anywhere inside the body, causing allergic reaction.

www.enzymestuff.com is a great website to read about how her 2 autistic kids got normal again.

She claims it was after about 2 years of enzyme where once in a while of skipping enzyme without noticing any symptoms.

We see overall health improvement after 7 months.

He is currently 99.9% tic free.

I am sure there will be time he will tic again. I care less.

I care about his overall health.

I care about his confidence level.

I am not sure if I have answered you question.

I keep track of all this in a notepad.

What he took and what he stopped taking. His reaction to the supplement for a year and a half.

Only recently I stopped taking a journal.

It helps to be objective.

It can be frustrating without the journal.

daniel

Patty,

I just wanted to give a run down about what I have done so far for my son (since you asked!)

Any thoughts are welcome.

When he had a vocal last year around this time (like a mmm and then progesssed to like a little hehe), I removed milk and obvious dairy (not hidden in cookies and cakes), and cut back on colors and flavors, no artificial juices, used some organic food (not all) and some cookies without artificials or hydrogenated oils. He stopped the vocal within a week or so. I was convinced I was on to something.

I also gave magnesium (similar to natural calm) B6, and then flax oil and taurine, and I think his regular multi.

End of summer he started again, I thought it was some ice-cream he would have once in a while. But during this time we would cheat sometimes as long as all was okay. So then we cleaned up again, but I haven't been able to get back that first success.

That's when we started with the DAN doctor. He did

- environmental allergy testing (only moderate for cat and mold and dustmite). We have a nasal spray with the neutralization, and took all precautions. (hepa vaccuum, hepa air filter, dustmite covers for bed, clean as much as we can, keep cat out of room (They said it was okay to keep cat)

- did elimination (GFCF) diet for one month. By end he still had tics.

- methyl b12 shots (1 month on intranasal and past month on shots)

- supplements are Super nu-thera multi, magnesium, fish oil, (i add extra magnesium, taurine, probiotic by klaire labs and some extra b1 and 6 sometimes.)

- cut way back on junk. Never give artificial juices, only about 1/2 cup 100% juice w/ no artificial colors or preservatives.

- Also did about 6 chiro adjustments recently.

He does not have asthma or allergies. He never displayed any symptoms before the environmental testing.

- filed for bankruptsy :wub:

Since September, things have not gotten any better (although on New years eve weekend his tics were very minimal. I can't figure out what I could attribute that to, but he did have a chiro appt. that Friday, but since then things I would have to say are worse, not better.

So prayer is all I have left. But I know and believe thats alot, maybe the all...Faith

If you or anyone else has any input, I'd appreciate.

Faith...one thing I noticed when I googled ingredients of Super nu-thera is that it contains SUCRALOSE (ie splenda) which ia an artificial sweetener (sugar that has been chemically altered with chlorine!!!! :wub: ) and is a BIG TIC TRIGGER for my son and many others

It also has an extremely high vitB6 content! where B6 is good....IMHO that is way too high, especially for a child.......

I dont know how long he has been on that, but sertainly the sucralose (nevermind the propylene glycol ) is something I would stay away from

I know Kirkman makes some good products but I was really surprised to see both of those in there

As for the fish oil....with my son the result is almost immediate....he has fishy burps and then shows a marked increase in the intensity, frequency and duration of the tics

LOL at the "filed for bancruptcy" :)

Thanks Chemar,

The formula I have is hypoallergenic form of Nu-thera. It has 50 mg. of P5P.

I don't see any mention of the sucralose. It says "does not contain casein, gluten, sucrose, art. color, flavorings, preservatives, yeast, soy, wheat or milk. This was purchased right at the DAN docs office.

Also wanted to add that I do watch the art. stuff and especially high fructose corn syrup.

Hopefully my next visit with naturo for results of food sensitivity test will uncover something. My fear is that it will be a laundry list :wub:

Also, I wanted to ask you if your son ever had heavy metal testing, and how you handled that aspect. I know you mentioned you use some natural stuff (chlorella) Is that on your own or with guidance?

Thanks,

faith

ah ok, Faith..if it is the Nu Thera hypallergenic caplets then they have no sucralose and a lower P5P

the liquid forms have added sucralose and very high B6 content which is what had me concerned

why on earth they would use sucralose is beyond my ability to comprehend. stevia would be a much better alternative. I dont even go near sorbitol or xylitol sweeteners.

yes, we had heavy metal testing and my son showed higher than desired mercury, for which our doc recommended chlorella capsules.

His mercury was not high enough to require any of the other removal systems like chelation therapy etc

Hi Daniel

from my understanding, xylose is the natural form...xylitol is chemically altered.(polyalcohol form of xylose)

I know many people use xylitol without problem, and it certainly is one of the better sugar substitutes, but I personally dont react well to it digestively and neither does my son, and so we totally avoid it. This is a personal health choice and I am not saying xylitol is bad per se...just that it does cause digestive upset in people who are sensitive to it.

My son has also been told to totally avoid sorbitol as it is known to cause IBS, and with his Crohn's dx, he has to be very careful.

Altho we were told stevia is ok, we find it too sweet and dont like the aftertaste

We continue to use pure turbinado sugar, honey and pure maple syrup as our only sweeteners.

• 2 months later...
Faith,

Sorry for the late welcome. My son is seeing a new ped chiropractor for the last month, and started to have more symptoms sparadically, so i have been a bit stressed out and been kind of quiet.

Just got a chance to read your recent post about your son. Our son are close in age. Mine will be 7 in a month.

I will try to be as concise as possible, since my son's sudden onset acute nodding tics, we have done various things within the last 10 months.

Phase 1:

We used acunpuncture to relax his nervous system, then later added chiropractic to realign his neck to alleviate headache and craniosacral therapy to calm his nervous system.

Phase 2:

Added Chinese medicine, B1 & B12 supplements.

Phase 3:

Treated by ND and NAET. We did a food sensitivty test for food and a stool test. Everything my son took caused him more symptoms, especially the homepathic detox. In retrospect, i think my son should be detox slower. 2 months later, decided to stop treatment from the ND. NAET was used to decensitize him from food and environmental allergen. We treated most of the food but did not finish, but will restart in a few months. The reason why i think NAET is important is that i want my son to eat a wide variety of food to obtain nutrients, rather than taking supplements. However, i am not oppose of it. I would feel better to supplement him if he was tested for deficiency. My son is a good eater and pretty healthy, other than the tic. My son did have asthma and have overcome it this past year. He does have nasal allergy and is better than a year ago.

Phase 4:

Start eating 90% organic, drinking purified water, watching LCD TV only, stop using mircowave, nonstick pans, aluminum foil ( we only use glass, stainless steel and porcelin) and harsh cleaning products as well as shampoo, soap & lotion. Avoid MSG, food additives & colorings and preservatives 99% of the time. We also eat food with few ingredients, and less food combination. Almost forgot, he has an air purifier in his bedroom.

Phase 5:

Daily epsom salt bath. I highly recommend it, it helps reduce tics.

I would say, my son's tic is at about 90% better. However, starting this month, he started to tic more sparadically. It may be due to the new chiropractic treatments & craniol work (we are seeing someone new this month), or maybe he is loosing his tooth, or just the nature of the tic? In any case, it is much more mild than what it was, so this is comforting to know. And i am very hopeful that he will outgrow it. From this experience, i have learned to think POSITIVE.

Currently, he is not on any supplements. Just 250mg vit C for his nasal allergy for the past 3 weeks.

Please feel free to ask me anything. I hope this is helpful info. to some of you.

Patty

bump it up for kkver.