ACN Latitudes Forums

Autoimmune encephalitis vs PANS

Post infectious encephalitis can take many shapes and forms. There are two different types, primary and secondary. Any part of the brain, or the whole brain can swell in encephalitis. PANDAS seems to be a form of secondary encephalitis as it comes on up to 3 weeks after an infection, as opposed to the original infection directly attacking the brain.

Straightforward encephalitis can cause neuropsychiatric symptoms but usually comes on abruptly with fever, headache, seizures, and other neurologic symptoms. Im sure that once the PANDAS battle is duked out it will be considered a post infectious encephalitis. But as for now, not too many of our kiddos will be receiving CT scans, lumbar puncture, or other testing to prove it one way or another, unless things are so severe that they must be hospitalized.

It seems that most of the PANDAS kids have a low grade, chronic form of specific encephalitis as it only affects the basal ganglia.

I can'y wait for the NIH studies to be released. Its our best hope for a DSM diagnosis and coverage for treatment.

It's my understanding that PANDAS is directly born from a strep infection while PANS is other infections not strep and both cause the autoimmune system to attack the brain. The defination does not include encephalitis as a symptom. Not saying that encephalitis can't occur as a result of PANDAS/PANS or even a chance of it happing the other way around.

I don't know the cause of autoimmune encephalitis but there appears to be enought simularities in treatments that it makes me wonder if some of the underlying root causes might be the same.