ACN Latitudes Forums

5-HTP - have you used this?

I just started using this on our integrative drs advice. For DD4 who has sleep issues, low serotonin on the OAT test (HIAA I think) and a high Quinninc/HIAA ratio (I know I badly botched that) dr said it will help sleep and serotonin. Then I went back and checked DD9 OAT levels and she too had very low HIAA/serotonin. She has had some bumpy mood issues so I thought I would try it too for her - not sure why but Dr never recommended for DD9. We tried Zoloft once for DD9 at her worst and she seemed to get the beginning of serotonin syndrome so we stopped.

DD9 has single copy 677T but DD4 does not have either MTHFR mutation.

I am giving both 100MG. I am seeing improved sleep for DD4 (not perfect but better) and DD9 has taken twice so far but mood seems very good since, - have also started a B complex with very low dose L-5MTHF a few times a week so that may be helping too.

Just wondering if others have used this, what the success is and if there have been any adverse effects? Especially with an MTHF mutation? Thank you in advance

We have the A1298C hetero mutation. Kiddos neurotransmitters are a bit wacky, so her doc started her on 5-HTP 100 mg and taurine 375mg one each every day. Her serotonin was low normal, but her norepinephrine was high, so the immuno is hoping by bumping up the serotonin a little, it will lower her norepinephrine.

She is sleeping a little better, but we have treated so many different things, I am not really which combo has been the most help for that. We have not really noticed any hugely positive or negative effects, but we have not stopped since starting either. It may be helping more than I realize :).

We do the B vitamins without the folic acid and b-12 (this seemed to help with her bouts of getting severely upset out of nowhere), and we are supplementing with methyl b-12 1000mcg and metafolin 100-200mcg a day.

We use 5-htp for calming effects at night or during the day but mostly at night. I have started using L-Theanine Calm-Plex with GABA and 5-HTP (Suntheanine®) and that is working well for us. We also use melatonin for bedtime sleep.

DS is compound heterozygous for MTHFR. We have been using a cream for about 6 months that has 5-HTP, l-theanine, l-tyrosine, GABA and magnesium in it. Rubbed on his back morning and bedtime. No side effects. I can't say for sure how much it's helping. We made several changes around that time with abx and adding enhansa. He's been doing really well. The cream is made by Neuro Biologix and called Calming Cream. It was formulated by a neurologist who's name escapes me right now.