ACN Latitudes Forums

Questions & Help

SLCLOOP

Stumbled on this wonderful sight after researching many things related to my 10 year old sons tics. His tics started 2 years ago with a simple throat movement or moving his adams apple up and down. They went away after a few months. He has nervous tendencies not sure fi they are tics as I am new to this as he likes to crack his knuckles and or flick his fingers. Last week he started clearing his throat and repeating it many times in a row and has not stopped. We are in the process of a move and are not sure if these are all related to him being anxious or a tic disorder.

Dr. told us previously to ignore and they will go away but not sure what to think when he has had motor tick and now a voice tick. He does very well in School and has high energy but nothing I would classify as ADHD or OCD. We also do not have any genetics in our families with a TS. However anxiety runs rampant on mine (father) side. I am looking for help as we are just starting this path and want to help him as much as possible. The tic does manifest itself much more when he is eating or watching TV.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My suggestion would be to find an Environmental physician or a Naturopathic provider to take him to to start with. They can really help you get started on a path that can have many roads. There are some tests they can do to look for vitamin / nutrient deficiencies, food sensitivities, candida, celiac, bacteria, etc.

For us diet elimination turned out to be the key. We saw great improvement after eliminating dairy, gluten, added sugar, artificial dyes, flavors, and preservatives. We have seen about 95% improvement in tics, ADHD, anxiety, attitude, happiness, etc. And we are only 5 months in. It seems overwhelming and even impossible to get started but once you do it is not so bad. I read where many think they cannot do it because their kid likes wheat and/or dairy too much but you would be surprised how quickly they adapt and even embrace a healthy diet. Those cravings for sugar and the offending foods diminish. Their overall health and immune system improves

Edited by my2sons

Thank you for the recommendations. My young boy loves food and will be an adventure to get him going in a new direction although his attitude is very good so will begin the process. Another question. After reviewing his motor tics we are not sure they qualify as a tic. His movement in his neck is him almost popping or moving the muscles around his Adam's apple. It looks very deliberate and habitual not a fast repetitive motion. Complex vs simple maybe? He has not ever shown a tic with what i would describe as a twitch or fast moving. The new voice tic is constant however. Gets very bad when at rest before bed. In our discussions he claims that he does not feel compelled to do it just that he likes it????? Thanks again for your help.

Hi

tics don't have to be a specific speed or frequency...they vary greatly.

I do suggest you read through our Helpful Threads pinned to the top of this board (also linked in my signature below)

and maybe consider getting Sheila's book as a reference to guide you.