ACN Latitudes Forums

Methylation: to test or not to test?

otksmama

What is the difference between testing for potential methylation issues via 23and me vs a urine test for folinic acid, methyl B 12 and glutathione?

The urine tests will give you a picture of what is going on absorption wise in this moment in time only. The 23andme test gives you tools for a life-long plan. We did both so I could see how her absorption was on her current regimen, and I wanted to know for the future what to look out for as well.

For us, my kiddo has a lot of other dxs going on as well, so I wanted to maybe get one step ahead of a possible serious issue if I could. Too many other dxs snuck up on me since the symptoms to those were also part of what she already had been diagnosed with. With the 23andme, I had a tool to look up all the symptoms for what she is at risk for so I can better identify a problem early on rather than later.

Edited by Mayzoo

You have gotten great advice already. I can only add my experience. We originally got the MTHFR test and tried to treat it alone. We had about a one month honeymoon period and then things regressed to where they were originally. After that we did the 23andme. It has taken much research on my part to learn about each individual mutation. The ones I thought would be the problem for my daughter were actually not the ones that have caused the major issues. I have learned more from some additional urine and hair testing. I think we are finally on our way to healing. I am hesitant to say this in the event that things should turn bad again. It takes more than just testing. It takes research, and trial and error. I was on the edge of putting my daughter on an SSRI. Still haven't completely ruled it out. But hopefully if things continue as they are we will see some futher improvement. Methylation can be very helpful but just keep in mind that it's a journey not a destination. Things are ever evolving in this world and it can be frustrating at times. Be patient. Best of luck.

Dedee

Edited by Dedee

You can go to the 23andme website and it will show you a sample result. That might help you. There is another test you can do with Dr. Amy Yasko that will give you the same information. It is more expensive but you get the benefit of her consultation with it. I did not choose to go this route because of the cost and choose to do my own research after the fact. I just wanted you to know that it's an option for those who prefer to have the research done for them. Knowing what I know now, it's possible I would have just saved up to do this for my daughter. Maybe not for the rest of my family who are not as sick. Everyone is different with different needs. Just want you to know your options.

Dedee