ACN Latitudes Forums

Can we ever really get rid of lyme?

lmkmip67

We are in about 2 weeks with a new lyme combo with Ian, age 10. We have had to go slow with the two antibiotics and cyst buster because either stomach issues or mood issues (herxing, maybe). He also takes probiotics. Anyway, I was reading some about lyme and am curious what others think. Can we ever really get rid of it? Kids with lyme are on powerful combos of drugs, is there an end in sight? Will we ever be able to take our kids off these medications and be confident that they are well and won't have to live on drugs their whole life? I have to be honest and say I am really concerned about the level of medications Ian is taking at such a young age and for such a long period of time. And if not antibiotics, have others had success with homeopathy for lyme or if you don't use antibiotics are you stuck with bottles and bottles of supplements to manage it? It just seems like a gloomy road ahead, even if he does improve. Thoughts?

My DS11 was on lyme combo abx (2-3 at a time) for 2.5 yrs. The first year was rough, at 18 mos we tried weaning off abx and some symptoms returned. So we did additional abx for a yr. and also addressed methylation.

He's been off abx for 6 months and is doing well. He is dealing with yeast issues - but diflucan is his only prescription. The supps he takes are strictly vitamins/minerals. No herbals for lyme. He is still vulnerable to Pandas and I worry about the winter, but I need to know if he can handle it w/o abx - I really don't want him on abx longer than he needs to be due to the yeast. But our dr. will put him back on if we see a flare. (or I may consider samento if it doesn't have the same risk of causing yeast issues).

Our LLMD feels you may never fully eradicate lyme if you've had it a long time. But the goal is not to eliminate any trace of a spirochette but instead, lead a symptom-free life. Given the theory that microbes exchange DNA inside biofilms, who knows what lurks and at what point the cure becomes worse than the disease. So I'm ok with simply watching him enjoy (finally) being a normal kid without pain or brain fog or anger. Could we face Pandas bumps ahead? Sure. But I think the lyme isn't an issue for him at this point. So yes, I do think there can be a successful end to treatment.

just an observation. One thing I learned during last two years of my kids' PANDAS is that you go to live without being confident in anything. You also learn to accept that abx are necessary and appreciate that they are much much less invasive (if you child does not get c-diff) then the psychiatric drugs which are offered by some drs as alternative.

best of luck

I don't have an answer to your question. Just want you to know I struggle with the same question. My daughter has been on antibiotics for over two years now and I don't feel like we are near close to beating Lyme. She is much better than when we started but not close to where she should be. I worry about this often, but I also have the realization of life without antibiotics. My oldest son took antibiotics for 5 years for PANDAS (not for lyme). He is now 17 and doing very well off of antibiotics. I try to keep that in mind. It's hard not to be concerned. Lyme is a very hard road. The hardest I have ever been down.......

Dedee