ACN Latitudes Forums

My Chrio..found this..treating my DS

qannie47

Florastor is Sacc Boulardis. My DS gets incredibly angry, impulsive, hyper and gets terrible OCD from Sacc B.

I know it's supposed to be a "good" yeast and some people like it because you can take it close to abx, but for us, it's a huge trigger. His stool test came back negative for candida but positive for Sacc B. Once we started treating with diflucan, his OCD was gone in 3 days and the rest of his behaviors have vastly improved over the past month. Stop the Sacc B and switch to a probiotic high in bifido cultures (we use this one http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/333/1/Bifido%20Complex%E2%84%A2%20Advanced%20Formula%20-%20Hypoallergenic%20-%20New,%20Improved%20Formula/). Bifido is the dominant probiotic in mother's milk.

If you still don't see improvement in a week or so, ask your doctor about diflucan or nystatin. I can't tell you how much a yeast problem can look identical to a Pandas flare in my house.

just checked Kefer Probiotic smoothie...ds has been drinking tons of it in the past week....filled with tons of bacteria, but don't know if it is strep

The average milk kefir does have Streptococcus thermophilus. Not all kefirs have the same bacterias and yeasts, but here is a general guide of the common ingredients found in milk kefir made from healthy grains:

Bacteria

Lactobacillus acidophilus

Lactobacillus brevis

Lactobacillus casei

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. delbrueckii

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis

Lactobacillus helveticus

Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens subsp. kefiranofaciens

Lactobacillus kefiri

Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei

Lactobacillus plantarum

Lactobacillus rhamnosus

Lactobacillus sake

Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris

Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis

Lactococcus lactis

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. dextranicum

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. mesenteroides

Pseudomonas

Pseudomonas fluorescens

Pseudomonas putida

Streptococcus thermophilus

Yeasts

Chamaerops humilis

Kazachstania unispora

Kazachstania exigua

Kazachstania exigua

Kluyveromyces siamensis

Kluyveromyces lactis

Kluyveromyces marxianus

Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Saccharomyces martiniae

Saccharomyces unisporus

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast/#

Edited by Mayzoo

You could always switch to another and see if it gets better. Also make sure you leave at least 3 hours between anti and probiotic. But I'm sure you knew that. I forget which doctor told me. But so avoid the strep formulas. They are not pathogenic but still not recommended for PANDAS patients.

Thanks everyone. Don't think it is the Florastor, since he was on it work several weeks with no problems. Stopped Kefir smoothie starting yesterday, and already ds looks better. But I am not going to get excited yet. My chiro is going to order the new probiotic anyway. I am becoming supersticious with all of this..Yeah, I misspelled super....but whatever, I am too tired to care. Dr K wants me to keep him on full dose of abx for 14 days...after that, he said, then it is time to worry.....UGH. Anyway, I knew I could count on all your great minds to answer my questions....