ACN Latitudes Forums

Rx Circumin vs. OTC Turmeric

mdmom

Both my DS16 and DD14 have been taking Circumin 500mg BID for 5 months now. It is compounded by a specialty pharmacy at a high price of $60 per child per month. Not sure if it is helping or not b/c they take so many other supplements and meds.

I noticed that some on this forum use over the counter Turmeric instead of Circumin.

Is there a difference? The OTC Turmeric would save me A LOT of money and we are running low on resources after 2.5 years of aggressive treatment for both children.

You can also get high grade Curcumin OTC

As it is the primary anti-inflammatory agent in Turmeric, we were advised to use it as a supp and then also cook with Turmeric

Depending on the brand, you can get it at far less than $60 per month supply.

Some people like the one mixed with bioperine as that is supposed to facilitate absorption, but we don't use that as my son is sensitive to black pepper

I took an OTC curcumin for a yr for my RA and it did nothing. I went off it and didn't notice a thing. I have not tried Enhansa but I put my son on it about 4 months ago and I've been able to get him completely off Motrin. He was needing Motrin daily for anger/irritability. His doc wrote a script and I get a months supply of 600mg twice a day for $15 plus shipping. Our insurance covers it. Have you checked to see if your prescription coverage will cover it?

We've used Minerva-it's a liposodal curcummin. I think the research indicates your need massive amounts if turmeric to make a difference.

I've cooked with my neighbor from India(awesome food) they buy bags of turmeric-(like 5lbs!) and they cook with handfuls. Everyday. That's what you need if you want benefits using turmeric- not a tiny pill of it.

I can't remember the cost, but you can google it. We didn't use religiously, I used it during flares instead of, or along with Advil, but when we started we did almost everyday for a while.