ACN Latitudes Forums

Need money but can't work!

I was able to get disability benefits for my PANDAS DS. It doesn't replace MY missed income, but it helps a lot with medical expenses, travel, medications, supplements, etc. I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if you have something similar in the U.S. Perhaps others can chime in on that.

I just got disability SSI a few months ago. The process was really tough, was denied the first 3 x's and then had to go to court in front of a judge. You must get a disability lawyer, there is no other way. They do not want to give young people ssi!!!!!! Disability lawyers only take a portion out of the back pay if they win (didn't cost us anything) and if they lose, mine said they don't get anything, they understood how sick I was.

It's not much though but does help my mother out - she works full time as a nurse and still most of my disability check goes to rent and medical expenses and medication.

I think one of the best ways is to do stuff from home and online. I've been able to sell stuff online here and there, it's really not much, but anything helps. I was hoping in the future if I ever get well enough to do some sort of medical transcriptioning from home.

With ssi I also get insurance, that helps.

You get medical insurance with the SSI?

Yes, through disability. I get medicaid after proving I am disabled through a court of law, but had I been able to work full time (in my past when healthy) - I would get medicare and much better benefits. I was not able to work much since I got sick at 18.

Edited by Guest

In so sorry you are dealing with so much! Medical transcriptions in a great field but there are many courses to take first. All can be done online. The problem is that the future of the career field is shaky as many hospitals are switching over to voice to text methods for transcriptions in their medical records programs. And many others are farming out the work to India. You can still get good work in the field now but you ought to look into medical billing and coding. Courses can also be taken online. You can still work from home. Just a fee thoughts as I am in the field and e wanted to give you some insight.