ACN Latitudes Forums

Eye exam and dilalation or pupils

mar

So set an appointment at new eye doctor and they say that they diolate pupils with eye drops to do exam. Told me they will not be able to participate in sports or do homework that day. Some may still feel it the next morning. Okay so my question is has anyone does this and is this okay . This is an optho that says its standard procedures. I have had this done like 15 years ago and it was not fun for one who had no clue about the test and had to drive herself home!!! Is this test nessasary! I have two weeks and wondering. Kids are doing well , am I going to panic them!! Any info!!

Mar

Mar

my son has had glasses now since pre-K and we discovered very soon that the dilation drops were a tic trigger for him...big time! So now he has no drops when he has the exams, and his eye doctor understands why.

It is mainly in cases of suspected eye diseases, when they need to be able to look at the retina, that the dilation is essential.

For a routine eye exam, they do not need it.

I know everyone is different, but my son is now an adult, and a few years ago, decided to allow the drops for his annual eye exam and boom! tic flare....

I take my children every 2 years to Peds Ophthalmologist and yes, h dilates their eyes every time. To look at retina. Can't see it without pupil dilation. The drops usually wear off after a few hours. Wear sunglasses and it helps when outside. My children have been able to read and do homework later in the evening even with late afternoon appts. (1-3pm-ish). I have not ever noticed any increase in tics afterwards but I suppose everyone is different. I had mine done in the last 2 years and it wasn't that bad. Effects did not last that long...few hours then I was back to normal. I was able to drive home OK, also. Many doctors make you have a driver--mine did not??

Anyway, I prepare my children for the effects and they have always seemed to tolerate well. I think they even have a little fun with it until it wears off.

Why do decisions have to be so hard!!!! Chemar you make me totally not want to do it bc kids have been doing so well and do not want a flair!!! Then 911 says it was fine!!! :). I which life was a simple yes or no and I know every child is different but do I want to take that chance when things are so good?? Will have to look at different opthos bc I just don't want to mess things up. Thanks

Mar

Chemar thanks for the warning!!! I can't wait no longer for this exam and I am real nervous . I still wonder to this day if my kids are true ts or pandas! The symptoms go back and forth and they are doing so well with ticks due to diet and not getting sick as often it's just makes me wonder what is truly the cause. My question now is how long did the tic last after the dialation. Was it hours , days, weeks! I have seen ds with tics that last days and weeks depending on the issue and I or let's say we have them under control when they do happen. I am trying to find out how much this will set him back if he does have this done. Any info would be great?

Mar

Yeah! Eyes were dilated today and kids did well! Dd was actually milking it (she does not were glasses). She is like I can't read my homework I you are blurry and totally fine with it! I think she enjoyed what it felt like to not see well. Crazy ds said he could see fine but kept asking what are they doing next. He though they will put a needle in his eye I say no it's just an eye exam! His comment was and I am still laughing is that who knows you probably want to get your money worth and they are going to put needles and who knows in my eyes! He was calm but really worried. I said would I lie to u and he says you didn't warn me about the dilation so who knows maybe you are not telling me so I don't freak out. He asks if I am coming with them and said he wants sister to go first. So good thing no tics! But realized how bad ds worries and thinks the worst where dd is like whatever.

Mar

Yeah! Eyes were dilated today and kids did well! Dd was actually milking it (she does not were glasses). She is like I can't read my homework I you are blurry and totally fine with it! I think she enjoyed what it felt like to not see well. Crazy ds said he could see fine but kept asking what are they doing next. He though they will put a needle in his eye I say no it's just an eye exam! His comment was and I am still laughing is that who knows you probably want to get your money worth and they are going to put needles and who knows in my eyes! He was calm but really worried. I said would I lie to u and he says you didn't warn me about the dilation so who knows maybe you are not telling me so I don't freak out. He asks if I am coming with them and said he wants sister to go first. So good thing no tics! But realized how bad ds worries and thinks the worst where dd is like whatever.

Mar

Your kids sound like mine--they act sorta goofy like they can't read or see. Fake running into walls and stuff etc. Glad it went well:)