ACN Latitudes Forums

blood in urine

LexMom

Has anyone else's child ever had blood in their urine? My DS just had his 3rd incidence. Usually he flushes before I can see it, but this time he saved it. It's pretty red. He is having back pain. They thought he might have kidney stones, but a followup with a urologist and nephrologist were both fine. Sonogram of kidneys were fine. I'm puzzled.

Has anyone else's child ever had blood in their urine? My DS just had his 3rd incidence. Usually he flushes before I can see it, but this time he saved it. It's pretty red. He is having back pain. They thought he might have kidney stones, but a followup with a urologist and nephrologist were both fine. Sonogram of kidneys were fine. I'm puzzled.

Can have a couple of conditions that cause blood in urine that are not UTI related or kidney stones:

1. Benign Familial Hematuria- not usually of any concern- macroscopic/microscopic blood in urine. Runs in families.

2. IgA Nephropathy- this can be a sequelae of Strep. My older Non PANDAS son has had it from about age 6 after Strep infection. IgA antibodies normally live in the throat--after Strep- goes screwy and goes to kidneys. The antibodies attack the kidneys. The main concern is not the blood, itself, but protein in the urine. Protein is a large molecule and difficult for kidneys to pass. Can cause long term kidney damage if too much protein. Sorta like PANDAS theory of antibodies attacking basal ganglia.

Anyway, with any type of illness, fever, dehydration---it is common for kids with IgA Nephropathy to have visible and/or microscopic blood in urine. My son was followed by Pediatric Nephrologist for 6 years (not Urologist). This is a kidney disease not a urine condition. He is 16 now with no adverse effects from disease thus far. He will be at higher risk to develop hypertension due to this history and should be treated with ACE inhibitors if he ever develops HTN. His protein levels were never in danger level. His kidney US etc were all normal---that is not useful test for his disease. They will usually do a 24 hour urine and then follow with simple urinalysis to look for protein levels on regular basis. Very non invasive testing and monitoring for this condition. I would collect specimen that has frank hematuria and take to Peds or nephrology. This should not be ignored without confirmative diagnosis. Blood in urine is not normal unless you have Benign Familial Hematuria.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I followed up with the doctor. She ordered a couple of urine tests. His urine usually come backs normal. I suggested maybe he has some kind of vasculitis since he has other inflammatory problems. She ordered some tests.

How can tests come back normal if you are clearly seeing blood? They are not picking up blood (RBC's) on urinalysis? That would be most unusual. Frank hematuria is not difficult to see. Hard to believe urine would not be positive for blood, at very least? This is not a normal finding in a child. Glad doc is doing additional tests.

Unfortunately, by the time we get to the doctor, he is not bleeding anymore. It's very unusual. It seems to only happen once, then go away for months. It is clearly blood, though. I need to keep a urine cup at home for when it happens. He is having back pain where his kidneys are and an explosion of tics. I am ready to give up. All his tests always come back normal. Even his strep titers are always normal.