ACN Latitudes Forums

Outreach and Advocacy

Doing a little outreach and advocacy this weekend with fellow warrior moms from the Michigan/GreatLakes PANDAS/PANS group. Our ringleader manager to secure a table as an exhibitor at the Michigan Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatric conference today and tomorrow in Grand Rapids. We will be trying to reach out to the pediatricians in attendance.

We had quite a few great conversations with the pediatricians who stopped by the table. Most are on our side but don't know where to start. Lucky for them we had information in some beautifully printed folders done by Kristen B. We had a few conversations with a couple of buttheads but they were few and far between. Talked to quite a number of med students. I'm getting old because they all looked like they were in junior high, lol.

I'm manning a table next month at a local conference for kids with issues like ASD, ADHD, etc... Kristen had a great table banner printed up that we've been using. It's all very professional looking. We provided some info from the Moleculera website. I spoke with Dr. Shimasaki on the phone last week for his permission. He's a super nice guy.

• 5 months later...

I think my daughter has PANDAS and need to find a doc in Michigan. Please help - she has a positive Strep Titer (specific results are being mailed today so I'll know more then), positive ANA, and her psychologist who has treated other PANDAS cases agrees we need to look into it. Can someone please recommend a doctor so we can get her treated appropriately? Thanks

Jnjv0717,

I think you should post your question under a separate topic. You can also check out the pinned threads and find lists of pandas friendly docs. Also pandasnetwork.org has resources available as well. Our treating doctor was listed on their site and I found her there. She is wonderful. You may have to travel a little bit but to find the right doctor it is well worth it.

Nicklemama, I see now that this occurred in September, but your outreach sounds like it was fantastic. Kudos to you and Kristin for taking that on. I am still trying to figure out the best way to move forward to helping others now that my dd is doing so much better. You are an inspiration, and every doc you influenced and educated will be able to help that many more children/families. Way to go, ladies! Are you finding that other outreach opportunities are cropping up?

We have a small group of moms in MI. We scour for opportunities. We've had booths at a couple of mental health group seminars, a couple of autism group seminars, one childhood violence seminar for social workers. We look for anything involving children.