ACN Latitudes Forums

Seasonal allergies making tics worse - help?

My ds just started his new therapy this past week as I mentioned in another post & we've been trying to determine what is triggering his increase in tics - now today the ragweed, grass & mold are all up in our area & my poor guy is a real mess.

The dr told us to go ahead & back off the meds till things calm down, but with ragweed peaking right now, it's like an earthquake is going off in his head & I'm worried he won't be calming down anytime soon.

Has anyone found a way of dealing with seasonal allergies that actually helps tamp down a tic exacerbation?

My son also has an increase in Tics at the start of fall allergy season. We have not found anything to help yet. I did increase his fish oil and make sure he showers off after coming inside. He was out at his Aunt's house this weekend and the tics got so much worse while playing in the backyard. So there is a a link for us.

It stinks that the more messed up they are the more sensitive they are to allergens and then the more the allergens mess them up, etc.

I'm going to pick up some quercetin + stinging nettles and get some more japanese knotweed in the morning and see what happens. We used to take them fairly regularly and then had to stop due to finances. Maybe since he hasn't had them in a while the effect will be more noticeable...

My ds has all those outdoor allergies. We have helped him with allergy symptoms and tics is going on a diet with eliminating food allergies and sensitivities. All dyes and sugars make a difference. His lips are the main problem during this time of the year. They get red and he cannot stop licking with brings on tics. So bought him some lip balm and had him limit dairy and the things he knows and within days he's better. He usually uses aqua 4 for lips but bought him eos mint flavor and it totally calmed him down within 12 hours and lips are good for now. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Mar

Aside from Quercetin, Vitc and Zinc. We have our son use Xclear Xylitol nasal spray, shower to wash off allergens, he has Oreck Hepa cleaner in his room and we run an Ecoquest machine in the house for a little while each day. These machines seem to have helped tremendously.

When things are bad I use allegra it does seem to help but I have not given to him in a long time and he is doing great on just the above.

I agree with hugs2day as to I always had ds shower to wash off allergens especially when he's playing outside and tumbling in grass. We also have hepa air cleaners one in basement, one on 2nd floor in hallway and recently bought one for his room. I never open up a window in his room! All outdoor allergens will get in and that's where he sleeps! In my case I think that is an absolute no no if you have all the outdoor allergens. We have used quercitin but in his case eliminating and watching food sensitivities helped him truly!!! We get the hiccups with him bc of stress but so far he bounces back quickly . From I have learned is that with tics there is a cause. Don't ever give up. There is something that is having bodies react. With 4 years now with both children I know how their bodies react to things and its crazy and amazing at the same time.

Mar

My ds's tics are compulsive but not OCD which means that he cannot rationalize away or thru his "monster" as we have un-affectionately dubbed his tics, they just happen. So unfortunately, because he has a ton of tics related to showers & baths, those are not an option & there's no desensitization or method for reducing them - in his type of case it's like trying to rationalize away the urge to sneeze (multiplied by about a hundred sneeze urges). It is a major deal for him to be able to take a "half" shower (he cannot physically step into the shower pan so he leans over it instead) every other day so that he doesn't look (or smell!) gross. It's challenging to say the least.

I got him japanese knotweed, quercetin w/bromelain, stinging nettles & turmeric w/piperine. He's been on it for 24 hrs and says he can feel that they are helping some (he's 21 & has a pretty tough stomach so we are on full doses) - not as much as we wish they would, sigh, but at least the tics are no longer feeling out of control and increasing. He said at this point it feels like things are turning around at least, which helps with that sense of panic we all feel when the tics are skyrocketing. And there is a reasonable hope that the positive effect will increase as he continues to take them, I will try to post an update in a few days for those of you also dealing with allergies and tics!

Grace under pressure,

I my son had all other door allergens just like you stated plus &&&&&&& . I know he was younger at 8 but he went through not wanting to shower and during a certain period cried to nave to shower. Please dig further into food allergens or sensitivities it has helped my boy do much!!!!!! My boy has OCD and his way but the tics have gone away 95percent!! You really need to look into foods in my case. Try foods, talk to mr me if u would like.

Mar