ACN Latitudes Forums

Results 2.5 weeks post tonsillectomy

JoyBop

My dd had her tonsils and adenoids out 2.5 weeks ago. She had sleep apnea and chronically enlflamed tonsils. All I can say is WOW !! Her behavior has dramatically improved! I haven't seen this sweet child in over a year! She's only four and was able to articulate the difference herself. She hasn't stopped smiling since the pain subsided. She said to me , "mamma, my bad brain is gone!" (Whenever her behavior was out of control shed say her bad brain was making her do it/ocd) All signs of anxiety and OCD are entirely gone. Her vocal tics have decreased significantly but I haven't decided yet if they are still present. She has good reason to clear her throat with the scarring back there.

We go on Wednesday for follow up and we should have the results of her culture. I wonder how much of her improvement is from finally getting a high quality sleep and how much was from a hidden infection.

FYI I was shocked to find she had apnea as she was a quiet sleeper. She would wake a few times a night. The ENT ordered the sleep study just looking for a good reason to pull those nasty tonsils out. Its been so miraculous that were sending DS for a sleep study at the end of the month. He has sleep issue but tonsils are tiny. Its worth a shot! I think his adenoids are enlarged as he can't breath through is nose.

Will keep you posted but so far so good!!

That is wonderful news! Our 6 year old son is scheduled for T & A removal in November. He has both obstructive and central apnea. Did they take any extra precautions in regards to sedation/anesthesia because of the apnea? I have been reading way too much about possible complications in those regards. Darn that Google. :) We will be contacting our ENT with questions next week.

I hope the upward momentum continues for your little one.

Bridget it s so worth it! Yes the recovery is awful but even while in terrible pain I saw the twinkle in her eye and knew she was back. The thig you will want to ask is if the dr will culture the tonsils to see what infections may have been hiding. The second is medications. Much has changed recently when it comes to post tonsillectomy pain. They no longer give codeine as several children have died from it. The only med other than Tylenol(which does nothing!!) is oxycodone but it is risky for anyone with central sleep apnea so you will want to discuss the pain plan. They also give pain meds during surgery and you will want to kmow about those as well, even though the child will be itubabated.

We participated in a sleep study at mass eye and ear. We were given a mystery medicine post op which was either Motrin or Tylenol. It could only be given every 6 hours and was a study not on pain management but bleeding post to sillectomy. These docs believe Motrin is as safe as Tylenol. I can tell you I think we had the Tylenol because the pain was horrendous. She could have had Tylenol every 4 hours but the study only allowed for every 6. As soon as the 8 th day passed and the study was over I gave her Motrin and she slept through the night for the first time. Thank goodness for the oxycodone which we reserved for the wee hours of the night when she woke thrashing in pain and med time was hours away.

I also recommend you stay over night off they will allow. Its a horrendous night and its a godsend to have iv fluids as they can not swallow a thing that first night or so.

My DS was a trooper and we are so happy to have her sweet self back. It was worth it even if it doesn't last. at least we know that no matter how bad either of our kids may get, this has proven to us that they are still there and WILL get better. There is always that fear in all of us that we may have seen the last of who we once knew. Now I can put that fear to rest, celebrate the good days and get through the bad.

Thanks so much for the reply and useful information. We were going to ask about the overnight stay due to the sleep apnea. You are right the IV fluids would definitely be a huge added bonus. I am dreading my poor guys pain after the surgery but know he can't keep having so many sleep interruptions and such low oxygen saturation overnight. Thank you for the encouragement to get through it.

That is wonderful news!! I am so very happy for you. We have the surgeon's approval for the tonsillectomy, but need to clear one more hurdle of having the gallbladder fully evaluated (just in case that is the source of the infection). Oh, I just can't tell you how happy I am for you! Hugs to you and your little one!!

My son had T&A at age 5.5 and he never required anything for pain. We were given Rx for Lortab elixir--he didn't like the taste. Think I may have given him Tylenol once or twice after he was home. He just never seemed to have any pain, complained and denied when asked if his throat hurt. So, I don't think you have to dread it. May come through it rather pain free??

The anesthesia used for these procedures is very short acting. I don't think you need to be worried about long term effects with central apnea.

Wow, I had three kids go through a t & a and recovery was quite difficult. Great to hear that some don't suffer!

Its not the anesthesia you want to ask about, its the pain meds. They have outlawed many of the tried and true. My daughter had to get lower dose in surgery due to a low muscle tone diagnosis. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with how horrendous her pain was post op.

In any case, its best to be prepared for a rough go and it might just be a piece of cake!

Thanks everyone for sharing in our joy!

My kiddo had her T & A February this year. She was in a significant amount of pain for 7-8 days. The doc gave an rx for lortab (hydrocodone/APAP) liquid with a refill and he wanted us dosing her EVERY four hours regardless of what her pain level seemed. He wanted us to wake her up for a dosing as well.

We dosed only as she needed the lortab, but did every four hours IBU and alleve at night. She needed the lortab almost every four hours while awake for the first 5 days, then she started not having as much pain. We kept ice on her throat for the first day (on and off of course), then had an ice bag prepped for every morning after she woke up so it took the edge off until the meds kicked in. I also crushed a popcicle to spoon into her mouth until the meds kicked in. After the meds kicked in, she did pretty well so long as we did not let the meds wear off. It took almost the full 10 days to get her back to eating normally.

She did not stay in the hospital overnight, but my kiddo sleeps and throws up for 24 hours after any anesthesia, so it was the next 24 hours that was pretty rough for her. I doubt she remembers much of the first two days.

Edited by Mayzoo

So glad to hear the good news. We had pretty much the same results with my first son six years ago after his T & A. He is now 17 (almost 18), and off all antibiotics and doing well. He will be going to college on an academic scholarship next year. He has some mild OCD issues with food that have stuck from his younger years but over all he is doing well. I would recommend continuing the oral antibiotics for a few more years and then weaning them if all continues well. Again, congrats.

Dedee

Edited by Dedee