ACN Latitudes Forums

Importance of diet

pr40

I just want to reinforce a specific massage about the importance of diet for treatment of PANDAS/PANS. as the last issue of PANDAS newsletter writes,

"New research in Nature magazine (Wu, et al - Harvard and Univ. Salzburg, Feb 2013) shows that poor diets heavy in salt (aka processed foods and fast foods) do in fact inspire the production of T-cell 17 (Th17) which is a "misbehaving t-cell" that is produced in many autoimmune diseases: multiple sclerosis and diabetes for example."

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Count-Yourself-In--Be-Part-of-the-PANDAS-PANS-Movement-.html?soid=1103470649803&aid=7V3cVvGYVeA

Have to respond in strong agreement. Ive just made an appointment for a consult with a dietician. have talked with terry wahls, asking if she could include a pediatric pt in her current trial ;) dont think we could do the organ meet she proposes, haha.

Can you believe when I asked dr k about diet and supplementation he responded "none of this will make any difference." I'm speechless.

Freeze cooked liver/heart and shave it into casseroles. No one will know it's there :lol: . They won't notice a little red palm kernel oil either.

After reading Buhner's book on the mycoplasma/bartonella coinfections and his comments on the universality of those infections, I truely believe that at the very least. we are all infected with mycoplasma of one species or another.

His suggestions that these bacteria act as parasites, scavenging nutrients and leaving us with deficiency symptoms, and Terry Wahls huge improvement in MS/autoimmune symptoms from using a nutrient dense diet really hit home for me.

I no longer get excited about mainstream news articles on diet. Careful of that "dietician"!

Terry Wahls / real food is something we all need. I think her new book is either out or coming out soon. I'm glad she changed her stance on soy and PUFAs.

DD quite loves her usual breakfast of squash, beets, greens and an egg yolk!

Edited by rowingmom

I hope that we can get better without proper diet since DS eats so few foods : (

T.Anna

Mine did! she ate/eats loads of white pasta, cold cereal, occasional chicken breast from Chik fila. Pizza was the healthiest thing she ate. Pizza sauce is a vegetable, right? !?!

I am sure diet is important, but not exclusive.

Edited by PowPow

Our Dr will not treat your child unless you follow diet since it is a major cause of inflammation. Our DS had severe OCD and lost 30 lbs and diet was before any prescriptions. His allergy antibodies were at life threatening levels and we had no idea. He has been doing immunology for 30 years and closely looks at allergy markers. Besides dairy and gluten he has found rice to inflame too. No wonder since the news last week shows high levels of arsenic in rice. We followed the diet and improved. When my son stared the Paleo/ caveman diet because of his college aged brother all allergy markers dropped to normal range. His Dr now puts all kids in his practice on this diet except for 2 slices of very white bread (less allergenic) once a day. This helps with lunch at school. The diet also eliminates GMO's which are highly prevalent in gluten free food. For info watch Robyn O'Bryan on utube or watch the video "Genetic roulette".

Our bodies do not recognize the DNA of roundup in our food so the immune system sends out the soldiers to attack. The more soldiers the more likely to have friendly fire hence autoimmune.

Clues to what your children are allergic too is what they crave. The immunes response to an allergen is similar to a hit of morphine giving a temporary calming effect... Hence our love for ice cream when stressed. Pizza has dairy,wheat, yeast and nitrates if you add pepperoni. No wonder its our kids favorite food.

It is a transition to change diet and for us it took awhile. You have to forgive yourself along the way and remember every little change helps take a layer of inflammation of the immune system giving it a chance to heal. Once your child is off the food they no longer enjoy it. He will eat pizza at a bday party to fit in but now feels physically ill and won't ask for it at home. We make great smoothies in the morning and he still likes chips. I just make sure they are organic. I would say we are 85% "good" and still our antibodies dropped along with behaviors.

One of my kids was texture aversive on top of gagging on anything vegetable-green. It took me years of being firm & rewarding even tiny steps forward so that he now, at age 10, asks for seconds on green beans & is up to a serving spoon of broccoli or spinach (his most difficult veggies).

It won't happen overnight & you will frequently feel like it is never going to happen, but persevere! It is very hard when they are too little to understand - thankfully my dh had bought a dvd of old Popeye shorts that my kids enjoyed watching which helped me convey to them that spinach helps make our bodies stronger which decreased their resistance. I let my ds start with ridiculously small amounts so that he felt some control over the process. With the little ones, hiding pureed veggies in their food might be the best way to get those nutrients in there. We started with finding healthier versions of their favorite foods. It wasn't much of an improvement, but it was still an improvement & got us started. Another tactic that worked well for us was mixing just a little bit of the healthy stuff in with the old food, & gradually increasing the amount of the healthy food while decreasing the amount of the old stuff, until we were used to the taste and didn't mind it anymore.

I remember being totally overwhelmed when our nutritionist was explaining the foods we needed to eliminate & was so grateful when he told me it was okay to start by decreasing the amounts and just try to keep working my way toward that eventual goal. We needed that time for both our bodies & our minds to adapt! The essential point is - don't worry about the size of your steps or even how long it takes to do it, just keep working towards taking them! :)