ACN Latitudes Forums

Flu Vaccine

JoyBop

Who here gives the flu vaccine to their PANDAS kids? Im on the fence on this one. On one hand, I want to protect them from getting sick if I can. But on the other hand, Im afraid the vaccine is going to set off an auto immune reaction.

Who gives the vaccine? Has anyone had a bad experience causing a PANDAS flare?

In the past, I have given it to my whole family and none of us got the flu. But I do think my daughters vocal tics began right around that time.

It is scary how the people on this forum all seem to be of the same mindset at the same time. I was just wondering about the same thing. I have not vaccinated for flu in the past few years, and this year, I was trying to decide and came up with the same concerns. I have decided to forget it. For me it is just not worth the risk, and it seems they always announce that they had the wrong strain anyway.

IF you do decide to get it, I recommend you go with the injection---not the nasal flumist. The flumist is a live virus. The injection is the "killed" virus. My kiddo has never had a flu shot, and has had the flu one time. It did not seem to aggravate her PANDAS at that time, BUT I bet that is kid specific.

The FluMist vaccine pushed my son over the edge - it set off his worst PANS flare. Other parents on this forum have reported flares from the FluMist as well. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions. I cannot offer an opinion in the flu shot, which is not a live virus.

My DS16 completed all of his vaccines at age 5 albeit for boosters and we will no longer vaccinate because the risks are too high for him.

10/26/12 ...DS15 received a flu shot. The doctor commented about what great shape he was is in and how muscular his arms were. His brother received a shot and his sister the mist.

That was the beginning of our flare. We slid from wrestling meets and high math and biology to a boy who has no muscles and hasn't left the house voluntarily since January 24, 2013.

The short answer from my personal experience...no flue shot! Also be aware that some kids react from vaccine shedding if classmates get th live vaccines.

Honestly, another pediatrician also told me, you shouldnt vaccinate the immune compromised. The flu is not measles, polio or mumps.

T.Anna

We no longer get the flu shot - between the questionable effectiveness and potential for flare, not worth it IMO. However, if you chose to vaccinate, get the dead virus shot and ask for a single dose vial, which will not contain thimerosal. If you get the shot from the larger, multi-dose vials, it will contain thimerosal.

No way in he$$ will my son ever get another flu vax. Flumist set off his original exacerbation. That was 4 years ago this Oct 17, as they say, a day that shall live in infamy in this house. No one in this house has had the mist or shot since then. It's nearing that time for flu shots and my son will start reacting to those who get the mist. Happens every year in Oct.

Ok, I can't help myself. DS's doctor told me flu shots are for the elderly and those in whom the flu is a major risk. It's not financially feasible to develop flu shots for this population so the govt helps out the manufacturers by mass recommending it. The average healthy person does not need a flu shot.

Edited by nicklemama

Our doctor has written orders that my daughter can never get another vaccine of any type. Or at least until her immune system is 100%. He feels the risks for vaccinating those with autoimmune diseases far outweigh the risk of them contracting the illness on their own.

I am with Nicklemama. I get absolutely crazed when I hear these "news" stories on the radio and TV about the necessity for the flu vaccine for the general population! To quote DS, OMG! What absolute bunk!

If your child (and you, for that matter) can tolerate NAC, I highly recommend it as a flu prevention/reduction supplement. It's actually been studied for its effectiveness, and provided your kid is not one who has an adverse reaction to this particular amino acid, it's a much safer and saner alternative, IMHO.

I will no longer do vaccines for anyone in my family, but it's a personal choice you need to make once you inform yourself fully.

Here's a great article detailing 10 facts about flu vaccines and the flu--

http://www.safeminds.org/fact-about-flu-vaccine/

In our family we plan on practicing good hygiene & continuing our vitamins, probiotics and daily Zinc, Vitamin C & Vitamin D, to strengthen our immunity & to reduce our risk of influenza.

If you do choose to do a flu shot, avoid the live flu vaccine -- flumist. And please look at this chart by the CDC of influenza vaccine manufacturers for 2013 (see link below). It lists which brands/formulations contain thimerisol (aka mercury), and which formulations are live vs. inactivated for the 2013-14 season. Please ensure your child only gets a single dose flu shot without thimerisol if you feel a vaccine is warranted.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/vaccines.htm

P.S. I did not come upon this decision lightly. I'm a nurse practitioner and I currently work in a large rehab facility/nursing home, so I see a lot of influenza and I'm exposed to it every season. After preaching the benefits of vaccines and recommending them to my patients for 20+ years I had a change of heart. This year, after many months of in-depth independent reading and research I had a paradigm shift in my thinking. I now realize vaccines aren't the 100% safe and effective intervention I'd been led to believe through my medical training.

I think I am probably the only one but we continue to get the flu shot. Both my kids have really low general immunity and get sick too much as it is. Our new immunologist said only killed vaccines no live ones. My kids have not had any reactions before but that's just our experience. Tamiflu scares me so id rather have them do the shot.

Hopeny, on 13 Sept 2013 - 06:44, said:

Both my kids have really low general immunity and get sick too much as it is.

Ah, but therein lies the exception that makes it a viable choice for your kids. It's the media's contention that EVERYONE should have the shot that raises my hackles!