ACN Latitudes Forums

Lice? (not a Pandas ?)

LNN

Lice do not like Tea Tree Oil shampoo. They sell it at whole foods and elsewhere. Switch shampoos. Also, if you think there might already have been exposure, put mayonnaise all over your child's head very thickly and cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes while she is in the bath. Then wash and rinse as usual.

Smarty - no kidding! And it was quite a long list to begin with! :D

And T Anna - yes, very funny that we all approach bacteria with our "sh** kicking boots" on and yet the topic of tiny insects makes us all squirm and scream like "little girls".

Just to clarify - my DD does not (yet) have lice. The girl who sits next to her does. So I'm trying to do things to keep it that way. She went to school this morning with somewhat oily hair from the conditioner I put in last night and I'm on my way out to buy some of the things suggested here. Keep all those fingers and toes crossed. I am perfectly willing to not become an expert on this!

A Lice Lady. Who would have thought? Hmmmmm, a home based business to pay for PANDAS treatment.......

I just updated my resume. I can't imagine listing "professional nit-picker" as a skill! But thank goodness they're out there for those in need!

We used the "picky one" and it was expensive but a life saver after we tried everything else. Spent more on all the lots that failed. See my previous comment. Even the pros that come our to your house don't give a magic cure. You still have to follow a rigorous plan or they come right back in full force in a matter of weeks.

Seems licw is always rampant in September. Tis the season?

My daughter got it last year for the first time...couldn't get rid of it with over the counter shampoo. When I was at wits end, I called her doctor and they gave me a rx for something that cleared it up first try. If she gets it again, I would go that route first.

Bless your heart!!!!

My daughter got it last year for the first time...couldn't get rid of it with over the counter shampoo. When I was at wits end, I called her doctor and they gave me a rx for something that cleared it up first try. If she gets it again, I would go that route first.

Bless your heart!!!!

Do you remember what the product was?

I've got one more tip to add (three boys means at least one case of lice every year, bleh). One year we bought an electronic lice comb. Marvelous invention! Doesn't pick out nits, but zaps anything alive and has been a lifesaver. When there's lice in the classroom I use it to comb their hair everyday just in case.

This an expensive last resort, but there is a professional in our area called the Lice Lady who rids you and your family of lice in one sitting and then sends you off with a lice fighting conditioner. There may be one in your area i you become desperate and cant get rid of the lice. To be sure, lice is a completely do-it-yourself thing to eradicate, but if it gets really hard to get rid of the nits, thats a solution that I had to use once. It's not like I haven't money on other wasteful things, such as IVIG (dark humor here)....

This may be the same as the company I mentioned somewhere on this thread.

www.licelifters.com

LLM- there is a location in Hamden (if close) if needed. They also sell a metal comb and mint detanguler spray, as well as other non toxic products. Hopefully you wont need this!

My friend swears by this method. http://www.nuvoforheadlice.com/method_explained.htm

However, we didn't use it since while traveling unable to get Cetaphil. We used olive oil, and smoothered them every 4 days, for six weeks...not fun but worked! We only washed bedding during every oil treatment, along with nit picking and combing. Hopefully, you escaped them!