ACN Latitudes Forums

Has any body tried accupuncture?

My ds on week 12 after ivig has relapsed into a pretty bad Pandas episode. I am very concerned. He was at 150% 10 out of the last 12 weeks...My friend urged me to talk to her chiro/holistic doc about immune system treatment options. dr janet heard me out and thinks that she can help me out using accutpuncture..she says that with kids she does not use needles. She claims a 95% success rate in the reduction on hyperactive symptoms and also makes great claims about it helping the immune system..any experience out there? too tired to fix typos

Yes...got me to 100% after years of having mycoP (then got exposed to severe mold, and I'm back to chiro, plus also doing homeopathy.) Agreed with JoyBop, that the person doing acupuncture needs to be experienced, and know what s/he is doing. I picked a Chinese dr. out of the yellow pages (near my home), and got very lucky...he's been doing it 30 years, and is only 38 years old.

I'm not alternative either but my friend who is deathly ill has found great benefit from acupuncture. But she had to find the right person and he was cheap and made house calls, which was very kind of him. I hear it's hard to find someone who knows what they are doing and not just following "protocols" but her guy would research and think outside of the box. I'm going to try it myself some time when things settle down with my infections.

What it helped her with:

relaxing her nervous system (she tends to be wired and revved all the time)

relieved constipation

helped with pain (her entire body including eyes are in extreme pain)

My friend was also in medical school before getting sick so I trust her experience! But I've never heard of doing it without needles!? I'll have to ask her about that (she's chinese as well so knows more about it than normal person).

Met with chiro. She was very nice...I was impressed that she researched Pandas before our appointment. She checked out ds, and said that she will get back to me with a game plan in two days. She said that it should also help with his bedwetting problem as well....we shall see.. thanks for the replies.

This post peaked my interest. Acupuncture is something we have not tried and DS15 still needs help. I found an experienced, Chinese acupuncturist 3 mins down the street from my work (Raleigh, NC)...first appt is 9/16. $160 for initial visit, $70 for all other visits. My wife had acupuncture years ago and said it helped her, and so she is not hesitant to let DS try this treatment. It's worth a try and price is fairly low compared to other dr visits we've had. I will have to update in the future, hopefully with positive results, which we cannot seem to get no matter what.

Yes, MMC...$70 is low. I pay $90 per week, but given how much it helped, I feel it has definitely been worth it for me. Both my boys tried it, too, because of my success. DS20 couldn't handle the needles (he has sensory integrative disorder, and I also find that when something specifically hurts me, the corresponding area where the needle is placed, definitely hurts sometimes, and my other DS said that it didn't help him.) But, it very definitely helped me. We are also doing homeopathic, and it is very much helping DS17 and me (well, we're herxing like crazy, so it must be doing something...and neither of us really believed it would do anything...lol)

Isn't it great to find a doctor right down the street (my acupuncturist is only about 7 minutes from me, and our homeopath is on Skype!)

I can't wait to see if the acupuncture works for you.

Well, DS has refused to go to first acupuncture appt today, had to cancel it. He wasn't too keen on this type of therapy. We explained the needles are tiny and are hardly noticeable. Maybe we can talk him into it later. He is about fed up with all the doctor visits he has had to endure over the last 4.5 years...does not think anyone can help him at this point. And we have to drive to MD to see Dr L on Friday, so we didn't make him go today.

Fired the first chiro after third visit...was not impressed with the 3 min she spent on treatments, and never even did an adjustment...put him on some rolling table for 2 min. Plus, the $215.00 per visit. Decided to call my own chiro from the past. Explained everything, and objective. Started with him today. He spent 1 1/2 hours with us. Adjusted back, did acupuncture with needles/ vs accu/pressure with gadget (that is what other doc did: took her 30 sec). Second doc also gave me supplements that included vit D drops, vit C with caltrate (or whatever), and a better pro-biotic. He is suggesting 10 treatments to start then 1 monthly for maintenance. The first doc wanted 24 visits plus maintenance. My doc felt that if ds could handle the needles that was the route we should take. He also felt that 24 visits was overkill. He is also working with us on the $$$. $70.00 per acupuncture treatment and $30.00 for adjustment. He also put Kinestetic tape along his spine for spinal support. (he treated my foot fractures years ago with the same tape & it worked!). Anyway, I trust this guy, and I know he specializes in acupuncture and nutritional health. He will spend 25 min with him with each consecutive visit... ds fell asleep on the way home and fell asleep 1/2 early for bed...thought that was interesting. will keep you all posted.