ACN Latitudes Forums

Dust Mite Allergy

MMC

DS15 just completed allergy testing today because of allergy symptoms lately. Dust Mites / Dust is the only positive finding, it was a 4+. Previous allergy testing three years ago was all negative. Doctor is recommending allergy shots. Anyone else on here have a child with allergies and is getting allergy shots? If we get this allergy under control, could it help PANS symptoms to subside? Doctor also recommended dust mite proof bedding, so we are doing that starting today. DS still struggles with tics and OCD. He just started 9th grade last week.

My DS has a very severe dust mite allergy- the worst the allergest had seen. We sanitized, covered everything with appropriate covers and wash frequently. Also, he is on zyrtec. We have only done the Zyrtec, but it did give us many months of PANS symptoms relief until DS got Myco P. Worth looking into IMHO. Don't forget the to cover the pillows or buy dust mite proof ones and sanitize blankets and sheets frequently.

DD8 has severe dust mite and environmental allegries (mold, pollen, ragweed, grass). Allergy shots (from immunologist) helped a lot but DD's needle phobia got worse and worse as we graduated from weekly shots to monthly shots (less exposures = less ability to cope with her fear). I also went thru one of those phases where you come across a topic and start to see that problem everywhere - you know, suddenly you see Pandas everywhere and then you learn about mold and you see mold problems everywhere, suddenly realizing every building you go into has a musty smell... well, about the time we were starting to have real issues with needles after 18 months of shots (having to restrain her, screaming, tears), I went on an anti-aluminum, what the heck is in this shot as an adjuvant, all "vaccines" are evil kick. So we stopped the shots. But they did work well for her.

About a year later, we went to our ENT for another reason and found out he uses sublingual allergy therapy - one drop of an antigen under the tongue 3 times/day. No tears, no issues. Studies show they reduce symptoms by about 40%. I'll know better when next spring comes around. But the co. assures me there are no chemicals or msytery ingredients. He told me what they use as a preservative (can't recall now) but it was a non-issue as far as safety was concerned. So that's another option if you can find it.

We bought the bed encasements (Mission Allergy is a great co. to work with and has great products) and they made a huge difference. DDs chronic cough went away. We also run the blanket and stuffed animals thru the dryer every week. We use zytrec during allergy season.

Keeping histamine in check definitely helps with moods as well as helping her feel better.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. We have washed bedding and put encasements on the mattress and bought a new pillow and pillow encasement. We cleaned his room and bedroom floor, which is hardwood, so this is a benefit. I guess we will try the shots, DS is not afraid of needles. I've heard it takes a long time for the immunotherapy to build up and work. I'm a little nervous about the shots effect on the immune system, but if it helps resist this allergy, this would be a good thing.

DS15 just completed allergy testing today because of allergy symptoms lately. Dust Mites / Dust is the only positive finding, it was a 4+. Previous allergy testing three years ago was all negative. Doctor is recommending allergy shots. Anyone else on here have a child with allergies and is getting allergy shots? If we get this allergy under control, could it help PANS symptoms to subside? Doctor also recommended dust mite proof bedding, so we are doing that starting today. DS still struggles with tics and OCD. He just started 9th grade last week.

It is very unusual for allergist to recommend allergy shots with only one positive allergen. Dust mite proof bedding and wet dusting weekly may be all you need to do??? I have very allergen prone family. The bedding and dusting made a BIIIIG difference for our family. Also removing carpet from room(s)-- (if possible) and put down laminate or similar wood flooring will help. Use area rugs that can be washed.

Good point 911RN! I thought I saw dollar signs in his eyes, haha. We may just watch and see how it goes since we have the bedding under control now...b/c we just had no idea in the past. He's only shown symptoms for about a month. Nothing else was positive on the test, only dust mites and dust. I think I have the same allergy. I just want to do all I can for him to keep his PANDAS/PANS symptoms to a minimum.