ACN Latitudes Forums

"Killing a Fly with a Nuclear Bomb!

GG7

What is the best antibiotic to treat Strep? We asked our doctor for something stronger than Amoxicillin. She told us that Amoxicillin is the strongest antibiotic for strep and "is like killing a fly with a nuclear bomb." We believe that she has no idea what she is talking about. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Amox alone is worthless for us. However, Augmentin is "souped up" Amox with clavulanate acid. This is an appropriate Strep attacker, but did not hold out in longevity for us. The best combo (for us, bit not for everybody) is Augmentin and Azithromycin (this is the same as "Z-pack"). This combo was a game changer for us. Also, a short run of Rifampin will go after Strep and many people (including ourselves) have reported positive results.

I just wrote about this in another thread. Our infectious disease doc explained why Amox is no longer effective for many people. I forget the percentage but I think it was around 80%. Will have to look for the literature. Anyway he said that many people now have an enzyme that deactivates Amox and renders it ineffective. Amox still works in the Petri dish to kill strep but obviously not in people that now have this enzyme. If you google it you will see countless studies that look at strep in kids. It has been known for quite some time that it is certainly not the most effective treatment, and definitely not overkill!!! I would find a different doctor to treat for this condition.

This may be a clue:

Beta-lactamases are enzymes (EC 3.5.2.6) produced by some bacteria that provide resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics like penicillins, cephamycins, and carbapenems (ertapenem) (Carbapenems are relatively resistant to beta-lactamase). Beta-lactamase provides antibiotic resistance by breaking the antibiotics' structure. These antibiotics all have a common element in their molecular structure: a four-atom ring known as a beta-lactam. Through hydrolysis, the lactamase enzyme breaks the β-lactam ring open, deactivating the molecule's antibacterial properties.

Beta-lactam antibiotics are typically used to treat a broad spectrum of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.

Beta-lactamases produced by Gram-negative organisms are usually secreted, especially when antibiotics are present in the environment.[1]