ACN Latitudes Forums

Ibuprofen long term substitute?

nitshel

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are supplements out there that can do the job of Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil) over the long term? DS responds well to Motrin but Ibuprofen is not recommended for consumption for an extended period so I wanted to poll the forum to ask if anyone has good results substituting it with something else...Enhansa? Other?

You can try herbal anti-inflammatories like curcumin, quercitin and/or bromelain. Only thing is, they would probably need to be dosed in heftier amounts to equalthe more focused and concentrated properties of ibuprofen. They might also need to build up their efficacy over a time period.

Omega's are also anti-inflammatory, so if your child can handle it, fish oil might be a good supplement to add, also.

Be cautious of some Omega supplements however, because some also have Omega 6 and 9 which can actually CAUSE inflammation in some folks (According to Dr. M).

We have talked to our doctors repeatedly about long term dosing with ibuprofen. We do quarterly CBC labs to check organ functions, but basically have been advised that as long as we don't exceed the recommended daily dosage for their weight, long term use can be managed safely.

We use it daily, but only 1x a day (in the morning), and may give a dose later in the day if needed during a flare.

Enhansa. It's compounded curcumin from a pharmacy in Ohio, Lee Silsby. My sons doctor writes a prescription and our insurance pays for it. You can get it without a prescription but its pricey. I've been able to completely take my son off ibuprofen except during illness flairs. He's taking 600 mg twice a day.

You can try Enhansa but I'll pass along my son's experience FWIW. Like your son, my son is MAO+. Enhansa is an MAO-A inhibitor. When you have an MAO-A + mutation, this is a down-regulation, sort of a natural inhibiting effect. So people with MAO-A+ may not do well on an MAO inhibitor (e.g. an anti-depressent) because it's a double whammy - a drug that inhibits dopamine/seratonin degradtion along with a genetic inhibitor. In my son's case, we did a week of Enhansa 1/day and it was ok, not great. The day we went up to 2/day, he was raging and aggressive and unable to control his temper over the slightest thing. We stopped immediately and he was fine the next day.

On the other side of the methylation cycle, my daughter is CBS+ like your son. They need to avoid sulfurs. Curcumin is a high sulfur. Enhansa made my DD irritable and moody.

It's not expensive and you can give it a try but based on your son's snps, it may not be a good fit for him. Like Ariel, we've used ibuprofen for long stretches - weeks at a time, dosing 3x/day during bad flares, then tapering to 2 or 1/day as things improved. We tried resveratrol (Japaneses Knotwood) like Rowingmom but it didn't have a noticeable effect for my son the way ibuprofen does. I have yet to find anything that works as well or as quickly as ibuprofen.

you could research arnica - a homeopathic remedy for inflammation. it is most widely known in gel/lotion form for muscles, but there is a pill form.

we have used homeopathy with great results for my ds. I always suggest working with a professional -- we use an integrative MD.

my ds energy tests as arnica as something very good for him. we have used it and seen mild results that I have felt happy with.

unfortunately, we have not found anything that I believe holds a candle to the speed and efficacy of 'magic motrin' in a flare.

Our ND/DAN doctor gave us Pleo Form, a homeopathic remedy that is to act like Advil and help with inflammation. Advil does wonders for us. We have not tried it yet (FORM) as we are using some other pleo remedies as immune modulators o start but will be adding the FORM in at some point soon. Maybe someone else on the forum might have tried this Pleo remedy for inflammation but it was suggested to us since he hoped it would have the same effect as Advil.