ACN Latitudes Forums

Switched abx, Tic WORSE

Ava had a tic come up wight after her T&A surgery 3 weeks ago. Despite being on Tenex, it's gotten WORSE! It was just a neck/shoulder/head tic, but now she's making a noise with it and swallowing/gulping. It seemed to get worse when we switched from Clindamyacin to Augmentin a few days ago. Does this mean Augmentin isn't a good choice? Should we go back to Clinda??

I always associate increased ticcing with die-off toxin buildup (herxing). I would notice an increase with each protocol change, and it would then slowly go away as DD's body detoxed. When we started tindamax nothing I could do could detox her enough to resolve the ticcing, which just ramped and ramped. We ended up having to pulse tindamax (3 days on, 4 days off), giving her body some time to deal with the die-off. Only then did they resolve.

During our last combo abx protocol DD was pulsing tindamax, minocycline, malarone, azithromycin and plaquinel. The first round of 3 days produced a significant herx which had dissapated by the end of the 4 days off. The succeeding rounds produced smaller and smaller herxes, and by the time we had gotten to the point where she was no longer herxing at the start of a round, our LLMD suggested weaning the abx. We have been doing pretty well since then (April 15).

Edited by rowingmom

I have heard of bacteria being released into the a system as a result of a tonsillectomy. Herxing is also a possibility if your kiddo has Lyme. Could it also be just from stress? My dd just had a t and a and it has been the most stress inducing an painful experience of her life. She has vocal tics which seemed to disappear after surgery but are slowly returning. I think maybe bc its too painful to clear her throat.

Either way u would stuck with the treatment that she was responding well to in the first place and not switch too quickly. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks for us to see an improvement.